Loss of coolant

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

amer
still on the production line
Passat model: 2001 B5.5 awx

Loss of coolant

Post by amer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:31 pm

Hi guys

My 212k awx is losing coolant, on a weekly basis, it takes around a litre of coolant before i see it between the min and max mark... there are no visible leaks.

I sometimes get the check coolant beep/message... (temp stays at 90)

A month ago the following were replaced: timing belt kit and water pump (TPS parts), aux belts, radiator (magneti marelli)... along with the coolant temp sensor (what a difference to the performance with this! and no more engine rattle? hmm.)

It did use to eat a little coolant before, but not as much as around a litre every week... since the tb and wp replacement.. the loss has increased in my opinion..

So, took it back to the garage and on the ramp, and they said everything they have touched is intact, apart from a turbo pipe connection which had a gap, they connected that back as it should be.

So, the only area where we noticed coolant, was a slight coating on a pipe in the drivers side lower corner... the pipe is connected to some sort of mini radiator/cooler.. what is this part anyway and what does it do...?

Any suggestions of other possible culprits are appreciated..

The oil is coolant free... also the oil cooler was replaced at the beginning of the year... feel free to ask any questions!

Much appreciated, have a good week!

Amer

Image Image

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login