jealousy?

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

bobfish45
B7
Passat model: b5

jealousy?

Post by bobfish45 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:24 pm

I'm still using (and enjoying)the passat whilst doing a few little jobs on the recent a6 acquisition. one of the jobs was removing the inlet apparatus and de gunking it, replacing all with new gaskets and re-assembling. Went for a test run and I'm sure the passat was smiling !Sure enough, no power and lots of black smoke. limped back and parked up the a6, maybe the passat is trying to tell me something :-?

gtijames
B4
Passat model: B5.5 highline

Re: jealousy?

Post by gtijames » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:33 pm

Once you have a good one it's hard to let go!
I've swapped out a car before and the new ones let me down before the old one is sold, so back in the old one for a bit :((

ct.p
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: B5.5 H'Line Est

Post by ct.p » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:45 am

I had a Passat B5.5 estate.

Then I got an A6 Avant, I didn't like it. Then it got rear ended and written off.

Then I got another Passat B5.5 estate and still have it, eight years later and won't be getting rid until it is either taxed or legislated off the road..... or heaven forbid gets written off.

The B5.5 for me sits in the sweet spot of being produced when rustproofing (front wings excepted) was done very well and mechanically is good enough but at the same time simple enough to cheaply resolve niggles. I think newer cars are far more fragile and expensive when they go wrong.

But there again I was driving when electronic ignition came out replacing points and a condenser, then fuel injection (first mechanical then electronic) over a carb, then catalytic converters, then ABS, then airbags etc etc. I worried about all of them at the time being difficult and expensive to fix... it wasn't so bad.
VCDS and Vagtacho in Maidenhead Berks

Hilly81
B3
Passat model: B5.5

Post by Hilly81 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:53 pm

I have been looking at newer cars today. My B5.5 has had a few £ spent in it recently. Rear calipers, plugs, cam belt and water pump, cv boot, front discs and pads and last night I found the handbrake had gone loose and the rear OS Caliper is sticking. Think it will have been caused by driving through floodwater yesterday or a full emergency stop I had to do last night. Fed up with it to be honest. Can’t afford a new car and can’t afford to keep getting this one fixed but something has to give.

bobfish45
B7

Post by bobfish45 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:26 pm

I have been lucky with this passat. I've spent plenty of money on it, by choice, and anything that has HAD to be replaced, i.e. clutch and dmf, gearbox bearings, driveshafts and the like are just part of owning a second hand car.I've enjoyed modifying it, upgrading various components and in truth it's a cracking drive and I do love the car, could never turn round like some unfortunates and say I'd never own another passat. It was the same with my golfs, boras, all treated me well and never let me down. The one thing I have not been able to conquer is the vibration on tickover, and the only thing left is the crankshaft pulley, still it's well driveable,and maybe the new owner will do it in a burst of new car enthusiasm.
I agree very much with what you say Colin about them being reasonably uncomplicated to work on, and the more knowledge one gains the more pleasurable it is. I've only had the a6 a couple of weeks and I'm already scratching my head over a problem that would be solvable on the passat.
I figure I'm probably old enough for the a6 now and it is comfortable, the figure hugging seats in my passat grip a little too tightly these days :0

ray112
B7
Passat model: B5

Post by ray112 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:14 pm

Don't you had A6 C5 front seats in passat?

bobfish45
B7

Post by bobfish45 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:11 pm

I do indeed Ray.

hydrocilator
still on the production line
Passat model: B5

Post by hydrocilator » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:48 pm

ray112 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:14 pm
Don't you had A6 C5 front seats in passat?
Tell me about the seat upgrade? Did you get a more comfortable set? My only complaint of the car is the sore left cheek after an hour in the saddle :shock:

Is it a straight swap with no mods?

What seats are compatible? Can heating be wired in? Very interested

MrPassat02
B1
Passat model: B5.5

Post by MrPassat02 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:31 pm

Bobfish in my case vibration at idle turned out to be seized overrunning alternator pulley..

bobfish45
B7

Post by bobfish45 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:08 pm

Thanks Mr passat, but that has been done :sad: As for the seats, they are half leather, same colour as the passat rears, but they are more padded that the passat highlines and the back and side bolsters are more pronounced, there is also a drawer underneath and electric movement buttons.
All you need for the electric seats are two dash switches, a loom for electric seats off ebay, there are various mine was from a firm called Kufatec. They're very easy to fit, instructions are very good.Seats from Audi a3/s3 8l,----a6/s6 c5, golf/bora mk4 will fit straight in, I had s3 seats in my Bora and they were the dogs !!! Just try to obtain electrical sockets for the seats going in. :D