B5.5 4Mo rear suspension

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Buvweiser
Passat model: b5.5 4mo 1.9tdi

B5.5 4Mo rear suspension

Post by Buvweiser » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:19 am

Hi I'm looking for information about the rear end of my 03 4motion,
I've just finished replacing everything that moves on the front end of the car, including arms, bearings, top mounts, steering rack, calipers. the information for all of this is widely available online.
Its time to start looking at the back as I can't get the 4wheel alignment done (doesn't go in a straight line one rear wheel showing tow and camber to be out) due to everything being seized at the back end. Originally I thought of buying replacment bushes for the rear and doing a big overall of the arms already fitted, but I'm now thinking of trying to source new OE replacement arms and all the other cam bolts etc. and saving myself a lot of bother.
I'm wondering if anyone can give me any insight into taking the rear end to bits, any direction of where to get original arms cheaper than dealer.

Any info greatly appreciated
Anth
The Octopus of things

Jultsu
B6
Passat model: B5.5 1.9TDI 4mot

Re: B5.5 4Mo rear suspension

Post by Jultsu » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:02 am

There are no balljoints on the rear arms so the actual arms themselves do not "wear out", only the bushes. You can find replacement bushes from 3rd parties such as Powerflex. Will be a lot cheaper than buying new arms. I'd suggest you drop the rear subframe down, give it a good sanding and inspect how badly it has corroded. Then replace the bushes on the subframe.

I don't know how much this will help but I wrote some notes (in Finnish) when I did mine. You could try to use google translator..

http://variantclub.fi/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=16718

Buvweiser

Post by Buvweiser » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:34 pm

Hi Jultsu,
Thanks for the reply, and your link is very useful, the photo's themselves are great and has got me dreaming even more. Yes I think I'll find a rear subframe and arms from a donor car rebuild this and do a straight swap for mine. and yes also a better idea to fit poly bushes insted of the arms.
thats quite an impressive build on your car, do you still have it?

Anth
The Octopus of things

Jultsu
B6

Post by Jultsu » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:14 pm

Yes, still in usage, currently doing 100 miles every day with it. I threw in used RS6 arms without touching their bushes and haven't noticed any funny behaviour. The exhaust however is starting to rot visibly, even though I sanded it and gave it a thorough coat of zinc spray.

passat-pd130
B1
Passat model: B5.5

Post by passat-pd130 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:42 am

Strong flex do full bush kits the cam bolts can be a royal pain to remove esp the rear toe ones as the bush is aluminium, if you have time it would be best to drop the lot out and do it from scrtch, i have done some of the bushes on my 4mo but want to do a complete overhall at some point.

Jultsu
B6

Post by Jultsu » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:14 pm

Yes, I also had to drill through and destroy my camber arms since they were permanently fused onto the subframe.

Buvweiser

Post by Buvweiser » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:32 pm

Ok great thanks for the info guys!
It looks like I have sourced some used arms. I am going to completely refurb these with probably the strong flex bushes. So the plan is coming together.
I haven't taken apart the rear end at all and I'm just learning how the cam bolts operate. so I'm assuming that a new set of VW bolts will work with the uprated strongflex bushes.
Then after this I need to get an alignment done. I've changed the whole front end including the track rod ends with Meyle HD stuff along with a new VW rack, bearings top mounts etc. I had no idea that the track rod ends were height adjustable and just put them in as far as the 13mm on the top would go. clearly a mistake.

with the car being a 2003 Who am I going to get to set the whole thing up. Any info again greatly appreciated

I love this car so much and really believe its a keeper.

do the sub frame bushes always need replacing? I haven't changed the front.

thanks again
Anth
The Octopus of things

Buvweiser

Post by Buvweiser » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:54 pm

And while I'm on a roll, what about the anti roll bars, can I upgrade these with those of an rs6 or something , rather than paying large for after market ones?

I've found a Audi Rs6 4b C5 front anti roll bar , looks very similar in shape. . and its very cheap

Thanks again

Anth
The Octopus of things

passat-pd130
B1

Post by passat-pd130 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:28 am

i dont know if the RS shares the same set up for the ARB on the rear, i never changed the subframe bushes they look robust and dont have to move as much as the arm bushes, did you align the front subframe? i put the track rod down as far as it goes as i have lowered my car.

Buvweiser

Post by Buvweiser » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:42 pm

passat-pd130 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:28 am
i dont know if the RS shares the same set up for the ARB on the rear, i never changed the subframe bushes they look robust and dont have to move as much as the arm bushes, did you align the front subframe? i put the track rod down as far as it goes as i have lowered my car.
Ok thanks for that, I havent actually had the front sub frame off, so no I haven't done this but I have seen online how to do this, using a couple of standard wheel nut wrenches as guides.
I will be installing some eibach sports springs and probably bilstein dampers - but at the moment its standard.
How is your drive with the TRE's all the way in?
There's an anti roll bar on ebay from an RS6 of the same era, almost looks identical apart from the width. I guess once lowered the body roll is a lot less. Probably don't need it.

Anth
The Octopus of things

passat-pd130
B1

Post by passat-pd130 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:13 pm

it drives fine tbh corners realy nice much better than my sport FWD i have eibach sport kit with koni shocks on the 4mo, the koni dampers has adjustable platforms on the rear i have tham up as high as it goes and i have the front on a +12mm spacer below the spring, be warned it will be low with the eibach sport kit on it.

Jultsu
B6

Post by Jultsu » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:19 pm

Yes, the front ARB from a C5 bodied Audi does fit, I've put one on mine as well. I also have the upper brace found on the S/RS models between the top shock mounts but had to slightly modify the mounting holes on it to make it fit. The bottom stiffening bracket can also be used.

I haven't dropped the front subframe on mine yet so can't speak for it's bushes.

Some have installed the ARB from an RS6 to the rear as well but be warned, it is not a straight plug'n'play fit, you'd have to run the ends of the ARB to the wrong side of the wishbones and they get dangerously close to the CV boots..

Buvweiser

Post by Buvweiser » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:23 pm

Great info!, TBH I'm not wanting to lower the car much at all so yeah maybe not the Eibachs. I believe mine is a SE as oppose to a sport with different ride height? so I may just fit standard sport springs with new dampers, really its the body roll I'd like to combat a bit, So I've ordered the RS6 C5 front ARB, I'll fit this and see how that is first.

I'm definitely getting there.

Thanks again!

Anth
The Octopus of things