Smokey turbo?

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

redeye
B2
Passat model: 05 TDI 130

Smokey turbo?

Post by redeye » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:52 pm

Hi guys. Had a good couple of years up to 128k now with no issues in the TDI. Started smoking badly below 1800 rpm.
Any advice on what route to go down, new , second hand , cartridge, new or reconditioned?
Cheers nige
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
"I'm never buying another Volkswagen"

Burnzybubbles
B7
Passat model: B5.5

Re: Smokey turbo?

Post by Burnzybubbles » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:27 pm

Depends on your skill set, if you’ve caught it before it’s damaged the housings then a CHRA would suffice, you can find some decent second hand turbos, I picked up a recently refurbed gt1749 for £80 but I think I lucked out to be fair, oily well used ones change hands for about the same rate.

Second hand runs the risk of failing at any point, replacement CHRA gives you a reliable turbo but requires the stop screw and vnt arm to be set up correctly, requires trail and error testing with logging to set it up properly.

Rebuilds are hit and miss as some places don’t have the correct tools to bench test the turbo to set the VNT up correctly, so I’d go off recommendation, new is obviously the best but most expensive choice.

It boils down to budget and how long you’ll have the car for.

redeye
B2

Post by redeye » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Thanks Burnzybubbles. Think cartridge is the way to go. Arm adjustment is external I believe? Any ideas what values I'd be looking for or do I need to ask Simon at CCC who remapped it.
Cheers

ray112
B7
Passat model: B5

Post by ray112 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:33 pm

If you are not touching stop screw or actuator rod and keeping old vnt nozzle mechanism , there is good chance that you won't need to adjust anything. First test drive will show, if you have any lag or not.

gtijames
B3
Passat model: B5.5 highline

Post by gtijames » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:09 pm

What colour smoke is it? If oil seals are worn I would expect to see smoke across all the reg range

Burnzybubbles
B7

Post by Burnzybubbles » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:13 pm

ray112 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:33 pm
If you are not touching stop screw or actuator rod and keeping old vnt nozzle mechanism , there is good chance that you won't need to adjust anything. First test drive will show, if you have any lag or not.
Iirc the arm and the VNT stop screw are situated on the CHRA so can’t take one from another, the actuator and the vnt mechanism itself will be swapped over though.

Burnzybubbles
B7

Post by Burnzybubbles » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:18 pm

redeye wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:24 pm
Thanks Burnzybubbles. Think cartridge is the way to go. Arm adjustment is external I believe? Any ideas what values I'd be looking for or do I need to ask Simon at CCC who remapped it.
Cheers
It is external but tight for adjustment, might have to bend or make some spanner’s to fit.

Simon might have better knowledge, I’ve read online that 200mbar at idle is right and another figure of 2-4psi at 2k rpm at standstill, to be fair, using the old turbo settings will get you in the ball park then fettle from there.

I have noticed that if the turbo is working correctly at low RPM then the lack of back pressure can cause oil to pass the seals but the pressure is mainly masking the problem of tired seals.

Another way to check would be inspect the intercooler pipe work for oil.

ray112
B7

Post by ray112 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:41 pm

Burnzybubbles wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:13 pm
ray112 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:33 pm
Iirc the arm and the VNT stop screw are situated on the CHRA so can’t take one from another, the actuator and the vnt mechanism itself will be swapped over though.
Yes you are correct, stop screw is on chra, so adjustment will be needed. I have done adjustment once, few years ago. I was using brake vacuum bleeder with gauge and vcds to see boost and duty cycle after. There was good write-up somewhere on internet about what % duty cycle should be at 4000rpm on run. What you need is 3rd gear and full throttle, while connected to vcds and recording data log. obviously if getting boost spikes or overboost, actuator arm is adjusted too short. Too low % of duty cycle at higher revs means arm is too long, and will cause turbo lag. About between 80-90% should be perfect. That's just a short description of how to do it with vcds. And you can use brake vacuum bleeder to adjust actuator on beginning, at 3mm/HG it should start to move, and at about 17mm/HG it should be pulled in all the way.

redeye
B2

Post by redeye » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:53 pm

Thanks guys. As always, great information on hear ^:)^

redeye
B2

Post by redeye » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:25 pm

Quick update. Found a new JB Racing core on eBay for £150.It has a CNC twin scroll compressor blade. A good friend came around and I helped him ( my main job was cleaning parts out and making tea) took about 6 hours, so please with that as well had to use the old housings.
The JB Turbo is noticeable starts to spools at 1200 and the grunt stays on for longer. Working very well with the low torque map from Simon at CCC. The stop was set correctly and just need to check the values when I get plugged in. Loads of poke and no smoke 😁 ( might need a new clutch )
Thanks for all your help guys it's much appreciated 👍✌️

ray112
B7

Post by ray112 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:57 pm

That's great news. Another happy passat owner. :-bd

Burnzybubbles
B7

Post by Burnzybubbles » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:00 pm