Timing belt and tensioner stud

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

Bravemeister
Passat model: B6

Timing belt and tensioner stud

Post by Bravemeister » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:57 pm

Afternoon all

Looking at doing the timing belt and water pump on the 1.9 tdi AWX. Its the easier version with the litens tensioner.

Now my question is, has anyone replaced the tensioner and idler studs on this engine when doing a belt change?

Looking at the Gates kit there are no studs provided, however looking at the INA kit the studs are provided...

If changing the stud, I have seen a number of posts about the stud picking up the threads in the aluminium, then meaning that you have to drill out and helicoil or timesert the hole....

Engine is on 156k miles.

I only ask as I have to drop the engine out of a B6 (2.0 tdi BKP) estate as the stud that holds the tensioner on decided to snap - I wasn't involved with its last belt change. Plus there is a hole in the block, whether the problems are related remains to be seen...

Thanks,

Matt

maclee
B6
Passat model: B3

Re: Timing belt and tensioner stud

Post by maclee » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:24 am

Not sure if my reply is relevant or not as I have never owned a Diesel.

The 1.8 petrol engine (AGN) in my car was originally fitted with a stud for its tensioner, but later versions had a bolt.

When I last had the timing belt changed I investigated the VW part numbers for timing belt kits that engine and found there were two, the later version included a replacement bolt for the tensioner. I do not know if the earlier version kit originally had a stud included, but whether it did or not is immaterial as it now has a bolt, (so is now identical to the later kit).

If the same applies to your engine it could explain the absence of a replacement stud, (and possibly the presence of a bolt to replace the stud).

I assume the change from a stud to a bolt was precisely because of what you mentioned, the breakage of the stud.

ct.p
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: B5.5 H'Line Est

Post by ct.p » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:25 am

If you buy say (from memory) an SKF kit, that will come with new stud(s).

Not about the thread stripping issue but I think I came close last time as I had to weld a nut to the end of the stud to remove it as a pair of locknuts would just slip.

It is best practice to replace them but the risk / reward on doing things in is a tricky one.
VCDS and Vagtacho in Maidenhead Berks

MiniMental
B6
Passat model: B5.5 PD175 5-Spd

Post by MiniMental » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:59 pm

I change it personally. It I have M5-M12 helicoil kits in my tool box so not really a big issue for me. Never stripped out yet touch wood.

54 Passat Wagon PD175
99’ Audi S4 Avant 2.7 QTO ;)
2005 B5.5 S PD175 1.9TDi Wagon... I Love it...
Labour of love...

howey
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: B5

Post by howey » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:21 pm

I have never changed one and so far had no issues (today's INA kit for a 63 plate caddy had them but put in bin), heard other folk have issues following replacing the stud.
Ultimately personal choice, the dealer(tps) kits dont have them so suppose that rightly or wrongly made my mind up!

DeanH
still on the production line
Passat model: B5.5

Post by DeanH » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:23 pm

Apologies for the thread revival but is there any recommendation on re-installing - to loctite or not?

gtijames
B2
Passat model: B5.5 highline

Post by gtijames » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:46 pm

I loctite them but it's personal choice