Budget tyres fitted 3A P606

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: 1.9 AVF Sport

Re: Budget tyres fitted 3A P606

Post by Gazwould » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:59 pm

:hyst :hyst

Indigo Blue Sport Wagon 0.34 m-1 blower .

I'd give her some 'trivago' .

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: T5 2.5 4MO Kombi

Post by Mindriot » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:38 pm

DOT codes lol, who checks all these shipments coming in by europes back door. Not many I think, a maker could easily project dot codes forward knowing theyll take a small eternity on the slow boat after sitting building up in production storage, your "new" dot code tyres could be quite a bit older if a maker wanted to cheat the system, because lets face it, the system would be easy to cheat.

If those were mine gaz theyd be off the car pronto, cracking tyres they might be but theyll be shredding their shoulder blocks quite soon. :)

Try some Nexen N8000, mightily impressed with mine, if they can stick down a T5, albeit a well performance tweaked 4mo, through the cairngorms on a wintry black night at shall we say some pulse lifting speeds (terrifying according to a friend) they should have no bother gluing your lightweight Passats :D

bobfish45
B7
Passat model: b5

Post by bobfish45 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:49 pm

Nexen seem to be spending a lot of money on publicity of late. A well established local tyre place is now obviously sponsored by Nexen, uniforms, signs, toilet paper etc. etc. and I wouldn't doubt Mindriot for a moment. Myself, I am still pleased with my Landsails, and if and when there's any change, I'll let you know.

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Mindriot » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:38 pm

I would lol, I can only go from experience. Landsail are the best budget tyre Ive ever run, LS388's, and I believe LS588 are even better I believe. There is a trade off in miles theyll last but thats old fashioned grip, cant change that on a budget.

I would say N8000 are better at the extremes I have explored. :D

I was skeptical but I got my hands on a set that someone only fitted for 2 weeks then took off when selling a car, buying, fuel and fetching got them on the van for £120 and up until it ate its camshaft I found them sticky enough to match my more extreme side on 2 or 3 very notable roads Ive run repeatedly for many years in countless vehicles and setups on the same vehicles that will test the very best of drivers and machines let alone my machines and me lol. Admittedly the odd grumpy Porsche, Cooper or other expensive toy can do straight line without effort but nerve, knowledge and sheer will makes for some very petulant wounded prides. :hyst

One of the way I judge tyres on the T5 is turn in, run out oversteer and on the back some very exciteable sudden snap breakaway and oversteer, which is always a buzz, the N8000 are the most predictable and trustworthy Ive had on it. It doesnt give you any warning, the 4 motion just goes nope, thats it, bye, which is quite a rare feat to experience when the tail just goes light.

caprixpack
B4
Passat model: B5.5

Post by caprixpack » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:03 am

I've got to agree, I ran nexen tyres on the 924 up until recently and they've been brilliant.
1984 924 2.0 n/a crystal Green - The daily
2005 VW Passat tdi 130 Highline Shadow blue -The wifes
2000 Peugeot 406 2.0 hdi - stood for 4 years, fresh mot and mostly working.

desertstorm
Site Admin
Passat model: B5.5 130 TDI AWX

Post by desertstorm » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:08 am

I would hurry up and use them before they start falling apart. Have you been cornering a little too enthusiastically and over heated the shoulder.
Gone but will never be forgotten
207Bhp 347Lb/ft 14.9 seconds 93mph
The build topic viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56110

The new 382bhp Audi viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70765

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Gazwould » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:28 am

Strangely not , I don't drive like you Karl :wink:
, dad's display more shoulder wear than mine .

As far as I'm aware they were OK before the Beast from the East .

Obviously a bad batch that could happen to any tyre , just wondering on the ebay refund / warranty / Consumer Rights Act etc .

£50 to fit too .

Haven't heard back yet from other family member with a full set that would of done the most mileage.

Don't know if to try some more ( a local garage sells and fits them but was cheaper to purchase from the bay and cash fit ) I'll probably ask their opinion .

Also considering going all out for MPS4 .

BadgerBox
still on the production line

Post by BadgerBox » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:06 am

I'm rocking some LS338 tyres on the 4motion - £120 for 4 and grip and wear rate is pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Gazwould » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:57 pm

Well the 3A rocking A3 8P is OK , went to town garage that sells l o a d s of them , never seen it before , honest opinion cause I've known him around 36 years .

He could only understand it one side if it was parked in the sun all day , but it's both sides .

Seen two axles worth of 3A on two cars today , all good condition in two car parks , so common in town one with some on is just 5 ft away .

Guess I've just been unlucky as was pops with his KUMHO KU39 with the inner sidewalls splitting albeit at the end of their life .

Abdul
B2
Passat model: B5.5 1.9tdi 4mot

Post by Abdul » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:59 pm

Ooh that's a nasty split

ray112
B7
Passat model: B5

Post by ray112 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:31 pm

Probably that kumho in picture is over 10 years old, and it won't be a big surprise, that brake fluid has been leaking from caliper, making things worse. Another phenomenal things is, that people don't check tyre pressure, they can drive with 15psi or even less without any idea, that something is wrong until tyre get it's cords split. I know that my valves/rims/tyre doesn't leak any pressure, but I still like to check pressure every 2-3 months or before longer trips.

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Gazwould » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:42 pm

They weren't old at the time , can't remember the DOT codes.

Others from different forums experienced exactly the same inside sidewall split , no under inflation , no DOT 4 .

Underinflation tends to knacker the shoulder inside the tyre .

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Gazwould » Fri May 04, 2018 7:31 pm

Update...

Re: Fw: Faulty tyres .

" HI Gary

I have just been advised that you can make a claim but the tyre cracking could be as a result of many different factors, and no necessarily a manufacturing fault with the tyres.
and because the tyres are over one year old it could be many other factors that have caused this cracking, but you can still send them back for a claim.
You will need to demount the tyres and return them to us so we can send them back to THree A in the UK so they can do their inspection. It is at their discretion to decide if your tyres are faulty or not. The return needs to be sent back at your own cost, if your claim is valid we will refund you the return charges and also you will receive a refund on your tyres based on the amount of tread remaining. Please can you advise how much tread is remaining on the tyres.
I can also arrange a collection for you at a cost of £22.00 on four tyres if you can arrange this cheaper yourself please book with your own courier but this fee will be refunded if you claim is valid.
Please not you don't get the tyres back even if the claim is valid or not. Please advise when your ready to send them back will send you a paypal invoice for the return charges and then book a date to collect them.

regards
Ahmed "

Ctyres.co.uk (online) LTD

Unfortunately folks it's awkward , and requires buying a full set again , same again or £100+ a corner !? .

It's destroyed the point of supply only buying tyres online which was my first time .

A rare misfortune I'm sure , it could happen to any tyre of any cost .

I could of bought them at the time locally supplied and fitted which would of worked out a bit more , it would of been an easier comeback .

What would I get back , zilch if claim is unsuccessful , all four only cost £139.50 !

It still promotes the purchase of Chinese budgets given cheap or Michelin they all have just 12 months warranty .

I did come across some similar condition tyres albeit in a more advanced state , again all four and just the outer corner , but these were at the end of their life worn down and with 2013 DOT codes .

I still stand by the Three-A P606 tyres as the rest of the families are great but if they go wrong I'll slate them to the ends of the earth , lol .

I've just been unlucky .

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Gazwould » Mon May 07, 2018 8:41 am

Apparently different manufacturers have different length warranty periods .

A little dated info so check with manufacturer .

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-article/t ... ufacturers

MiniMental
B6
Passat model: B5.5 PD175 5-Spd

Budget tyres fitted 3A P606

Post by MiniMental » Wed May 16, 2018 8:36 am

I had this issue and experience with Goodyear on sub one year old tyres right through all four. Split and cracked like that. Had a very bad experience. Won’t ever buy Goodyear or Dunlop tyres again. Ever.

54 Passat Wagon PD175
99’ Audi S4 Avant 2.7 QTO
2005 B5.5 S PD175 1.9TDi Wagon... I Love it...
Labour of love...

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Gazwould » Wed May 16, 2018 8:47 am

Sub 1 year that's a pi§§ take .

This is it , it can happen to any tyre cheap or dear.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3

Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2

Both highly regarded tyres .

For sure it's how you are dealt with when there's a problem .

I'm not sure how the Consumers Rights Act or Trading Standards view this but information regarding tyres is thin.

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Mindriot » Wed May 16, 2018 1:54 pm

Depends on transit etc, could have been sitting on the hot side of a sea container for months lol, these days could easily even be counterfeit.

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Gazwould » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:51 pm

Looks like I can't get away from the Three- A P606 , the new car has them on the rear both like new in 255 35 18 flavour , the Passat's haven't changed for the worse and still have tons of life to go .

caprixpack
B4

Post by caprixpack » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:15 pm

I've got a couple on the pug, been great so far.
1984 924 2.0 n/a crystal Green - The daily
2005 VW Passat tdi 130 Highline Shadow blue -The wifes
2000 Peugeot 406 2.0 hdi - stood for 4 years, fresh mot and mostly working.

gtijames
B3
Passat model: B5.5 highline

Post by gtijames » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:15 pm

It is a bit odd to get cracking after such a low time but can depend on many factors and I'm sure that the manufacturers will slip out of a refund!