Two stroke experiment starts today

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

aman23
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: b5.5

Re: Two stroke experiment starts today

Post by aman23 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:32 pm

500ml in a full 62l tank is not far off what I have been using. I’m not very accurate with it because my car doesn’t seem to mind. Don’t know what’s happening under the bonnet though.

I know one thing the smell out the exhaust is much more pleasant. Lot less smoke and even though I don’t notice anything else I do know when I haven’t been using it. After a few hundred miles I can definitely tell it drives different. But I do my best not to miss a dose now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gavster30
B6
Passat model: B5.5

Post by Gavster30 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:42 pm

I'm feeling positive about it, smoke reduction would be nice although it's not that bad and the smell would be an advantage, I only notice the pong when the engine is cold and the first thing I do is reverse in the morning!

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

Abdul
B1
Passat model: B5.5 1.9tdi 4mot

Post by Abdul » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:06 pm

Well first full tank used up and the following noted. Averaged 46mpg thats brim to brim. Cars pickup pace in a cleaner manner. Car does seem to tick over smoother to. So far so good shall keep this experiment going. I've been using 300ml to the full tank.

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: 1.9 AVF Sport

Post by Gazwould » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:35 pm

The cars really pong when you get rid of the cat .

Indigo Blue Sport Wagon

I'd give her some 'Trivago'.

howey
Passat model: B5

Post by howey » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:22 pm

Does it matter when you poor it in?

lacroupade
B2

Post by lacroupade » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:35 pm

Interesting - this one took its time to pop up here.

Its definitely a useful trick as the proponents on the forum suggest. I never bothered with the Passat but I also run a couple of Nissan Terranos with 2.7TDi engines - oldish but bulletproof diesel motors that will even happily run on 100% vegetable oil (the new, clean stuff, not the poo that some dumbos blag from the local chippie or chinese) and they definitely benefitted noticeably during the several years I used it.

I might tip a bit in the old girl now this has prompted me. I just used to use the same stuff I tip in the chainsaw mix so it never goes to waste :hyst

One other trick that might appeal to the experimenters and its one I got from a guy who worked at the old Esso Research Centre that used to be near Abingdon....apparently sticking a similar ratio of acetone (300ml or so) into a tank of diesel will improve combustion....more so than 2-stroke which after all is just a lubricant; I can't see any science behind oil improving combustion but I'm always open to being convinced.

I used it for several years until I couldn't be bothered but take care on two fronts; firstly it can feck some paint finishes up if you spill it and secondly for gods sake dont use nail polish - it has undesirable additives in it. Pure industrial acetone is whats needed. Used to make the old Terrano a noticable bit smoother and responsive, but may be less so on a more modern engine. Its easily available here in France in any supermarket for around three euros a litre so I think I'll start using it again :esm

Now then, anyone heard of Hiclones? :hyst :hyst :hyst

ppp3passat
B1

Post by ppp3passat » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:13 pm

well, i am one of those who mixt 2t in normal ratio. it's all good, the motor runs smoother, but in the morning after, the start it's a little bit sluggish...and smokey at the rearend, blueish kind off. before adding the 2t, it was a perfect start , it didn't need two or three turn to start...maybe it's just me.

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Gazwould » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:28 pm

... or your glowplugs , which 2T are you using ?

Indigo Blue Sport Wagon

ppp3passat
B1

Post by ppp3passat » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:57 pm

glowplugs were changed 3 yearsago...beru for avf engine. 2t is castrol red bottle jaso fb

howey
Passat model: B5

Post by howey » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:00 pm

Haha mine seems exactly the opposite since using 2 stroke which insistently appears to have shot up in price!

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Gazwould » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:12 pm

Indeed , I would say 95% experience a positive result.

Indigo Blue Sport Wagon

Gavster30
B6

Post by Gavster30 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:36 pm

A week or so on, no issues here, car feels smoother maybe slight gains in power bit no noticeable gains in MPG

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk