Sealing the door panels

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

maclee
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: B3

Sealing the door panels

Post by maclee »

Thanks to a malfunctioning door latch, I will soon have the job of dismantling the door, which, of course, means sealing it afterwards where the mechanism plate meets the door structure.

Obviously this will mean removing any traces of the original foam, (if any still exists), and sealing with bathroom silicone, of which I have a good selection.

I am curious as to how those who have done this job actually applied the sealant.

I can see two options:

1. Apply the sealant to the surfaces so that when the mechanism plate is installed the sealant is squashed between it and the door structure. This has the advantage of keeping water from actually getting between the two metal plates and possibly starting corrosion, but will make dismantling at a later date more of a challenge as silicone on smooth surfaces can make for a really effective bond.

2. Clean the area of any stray material and assemble the mechanism plate to the door, 'dry'. Tighten all bolts and then go around the periphery of the mechanism plate, (perhaps not the top of it), and form a bead of sealant between the edge of the mechanism plate and the metal of the door structure. This has the advantage of being easier to dismantle at a later date, and, if applied correctly will still prevent water from entering the car. However, it will also allow water to gather between the metal surfaces of the mechanism plate and the door structure, possibly encouraging corrosion to form in those areas.

I am not sure there is a right or a wrong way to do this, but there may be a third of which I am unaware.

I would be very interested to hear what others think.

Thanks.

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login