Vibration from front nearside wheel at speed?

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

alpenweiss2
B3
Passat model: B5 1.9TDI Wagon

Vibration from front nearside wheel at speed?

Post by alpenweiss2 »

Hello all.

We have a 1999 B5 Wagon 1.9tdi SE. We live over in SW France. For some time now we have had a problem with a noticeable vibration coming from the area of the front passenger side wheel, at speeds of around 70mph and above. This can be felt when sitting in the front passenger seat and also vibration through the steering wheel.

Originally the car was fitted with the original VW 15" steel wheels when we noticed this problem, so I swapped the passenger side front wheel for the unused spare, suspecting an out of balance wheel. This did not cure the problem?

We have since had all new tyres fitted as well as 16" Audi alloys. Balanced alloys and tracking checked. Still the problem is apparent, but not as bad as when the steels were fitted?

I suspect a warped front passenger brake disc? I say this because we recently had a dodgy front passenger side caliper replaced, but the garage did not replace the discs.

Would a warped disc give these symptoms? I don't want to pay out to replace the discs if it is not the problem? I have noticed that when braking there is a slight vibration/judder through the pedal?

Any thoughts?

This topic has 11 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login