Egr valve

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: desertstorm, vwnutant, water01

aman23
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: b5.5

Egr valve

Post by aman23 »

Today in an attempt to stop my intercooler getting black oily crud into it, I pulled the top vacuum pipe off the egr valve. Put a bolt in there and placed a tie back around it and put it to the side.

Firstly my cars a 53 plate but the engine light has not yet come on. I drove it about 10 miles in total? Does it come on after a certain time or immediately?

Secondly, how do I know the egr was in the closed position when I popped the vacuum hose off?

The car feels and drives the same. Been trying to resolve an issue with a lot of smoke on acceleration. Found the bottom intercooler pipe leaking at the joint where it goes into the intercooler. When I say leaking its covered with oily substance. Think I fixed it with a new gasket and tie backs etc. But surely that oily stuff shouldn't be there in the first place. Or does it appear if there is a vacuum leak?

Sorry for the numerous questions. Just a bit curious about what's going on.

This topic has 21 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login