Just Add Fuel

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

sunray
still on the production line
Passat model: B5.5

Just Add Fuel

Post by sunray »

After running out of fuel TEN FEET AWAY from the pumps, sucking air into the tandem-pump and getting towed home, I'd just like to say thanks to all the guys who've posted on here with actual useful information about bleeding the fuel system!

Did the thing with the turning-the-key-on-and-off and presto; working car.

Took the opportunity to change the filter at the same time (genuine from TPS).

Has anyone any idea just why my '54 plate Tdi SE Wagon (1.9 AVF Tiptronic) has such a thirst for fuel, while we're on the subject?

Over the course of 18 months I've replaced:
Thermostat and coolant temperature sensor,
Fuel temperature sensor,
All the vacuum hoses that control the turbo, EGR etc.,
MAF sensor,
Fuel cooler under the car,
Fuel pipes,
Everything for a major service.

I've also removed and cleaned the EGR valve and inlet manifold which were hideously caked in crud but all this has done is send the engine management crazy, saying that the EGR is now not working at all, exactly the same as when you blank the recirculation pipe from the exhaust.

On a good run recently (Leicester to Bristol, 65-70 MPH with the air-con off) I managed to eke out 41MPG by dint of great effort. And before the nay-sayers start on about auto's being less economical; in 3rd, 4th and 5th the 'box locks into gear with no torque convertor, just like a manual in gear with the clutch up so its direct drive.

Checked the cam torsion value (between 0.6 and 1.1) and the car has been serviced regardless of cost its whole life. Tyres are C-rated for rolling resistance (235/40x18 on Audi RS6 rims) and are all inflated to correct pressures, yet on local runs of 15 miles mixed roads it won't better 33MPG.

Next, I'm going to get the EGR valve mapped-out and fit a decent delete-kit.

Car runs almost exclusively on Shell V-power nitro+ and occasionally dosed with Forte diesel treatment.

Any and all suggestions welcomed warmly!

This topic has 13 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login