GEARBOX? Need help please

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Kendo
B1
Passat model: B5.5 TDI 130

GEARBOX? Need help please

Post by Kendo »

Hi folks, not mechanically minded so apologise in advance if I say something not quite right or mechanically retarded!

2001 B5.5 1.9tdi 130 pd.

For last couple of weeks 6th has been a little difficult to engage. Would take a second go but would go in, all other gears fine. Whilst driving last night tried to engage 6th but kept finding forth like the whole box had shifted to a point where I couldnt reach it. then when I thought il put it in 5th and just got 3rd!? Whilst in 3rd it was like I could shove the the box back to the position it should be in. Had to nurse it down the road for next fifteen miles. I can engage 2 3 4 but getting in to 1 5 or 6 is like I have to reach further than the gear stick goes to reach them. also the gear stick doesnt seem to pop back in to neutral on it own it like its in a bowl of porrige! Is this perhaps an engine mount issue? Or is this more serious Clutch/flywheel/syncro/linkage/etc? The box has no whining, crunching, noise etc however if I do find 1st or 5 its harder to get it back out? when in gear car drives like it should? Please help, if its the box then its a good chance the job will cost more than the cars worth :(

All help really appreciated

This topic has 16 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login