Windows come down when unlocking door

From 16v to vr6- Add all the information in here....

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Woody Rocks
Passat model: B4

Windows come down when unlocking door

Post by Woody Rocks » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:04 pm

Hello, I have a 94 Estate which I have owned since 96. In the last few days every time I unlock the car, with either key in either front door, all the windows come down. I cannot get them back up from inside the car and have to relock the car from the outside. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

maclee
B7
Passat model: B3

Re: Windows come down when unlocking door

Post by maclee » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:27 am

No guarantee, but quickest, easiest and cheapest thing first....

While you do this, keep one of the keys somewhere safe, away from the car as there is a possibility that the doors may lock and you do not want the key locked inside.

Open the doors in turn, locate the rubber boot between the door and the body of the car. Inside those boots you will find the connecting wires. Inspect them for breaks, (particularly the front doors).

It is not unknown for the conductors to fracture within the plastic insulation, so subject each to a 'stretch test'. If any stretch, it is because the wire has fractured internally.

If you find any broken wires, repair them and see if it fixes the problem.

Woody Rocks
Passat model: B4

Re: Windows come down when unlocking door

Post by Woody Rocks » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:35 pm

Thanks for your advice. I noticed some of the rubber seals around the door handles are disintegrating so I applied Tiger Seal all around. Hoping perhaps with all the rain before Christmas water had got in. Also had the rear passenger door apart as window motor has not worked for some time, got a contact but still not working but dried everything out. Friend with an old Golf suggested replacing broken motor might help. So I am hoping things have dried out now, the windows have only come down once one evening last week when it was frosty.