Free B4 passat

From 16v to vr6- Add all the information in here....

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

jasikasisback
B5
Passat model: B4 CL Automatic

Free B4 passat

Post by jasikasisback » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:30 am

Well I never did get around to donating the B4 passat to the fire service. Unfortunately someone has smashed the rear tailgate. I have a spare rear tailgate, but I am not going to be driving this thing ever again, so if anyone wants it I will include the new tailgate and lots of spare parts for it to whoever wants it. Can also have a couple of MK3 golfs as well. So if anyone interested can get in touch with me. The Passat is a B4 automatic with an AGG engine. Complete except for smashed rear tailgate.
Wont be here long unfortunately as do have to move it.

jmagee
B1
Passat model: B8

Re: Free B4 passat

Post by jmagee » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:57 am

Surely they have scrap value?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

jasikasisback
B5

Post by jasikasisback » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:18 am

well I figured if anyone wants parts from it they can have the whole car and then junk it after. People have helped me out on here in the past and probably kept the car running for a few more years than it should have done, so it is my way of giving back to the forum I guess. I realise that some parts are so rare that they are really difficult to find, so it will help them. That's the way I see it. I have a spare tailgate but a different colour so they can just swap it over and do some minor work on the car and enjoy it if they want.

jasikasisback
B5

Post by jasikasisback » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:17 am

will swap tailgate and have some questions about it...

I recently swapped a mk3 golf hatch tailgate over which was pretty straightforward tbh..just broke the vacuum hose thingy...

the passat tailgate I have is not complete...the hinges are missing and the wiring has been cut near the protective hoses at the top of the tailgate...
I haven't looked at the one on the car, but have a feeling it might be easier to remove the glass from the tailgate and just glue it one with epoxy but wont be as good as factory sealed

anyone has swapped one over this is what I want to know...I assume the wiring is accessible once I take the plastic off at the bottom of the tailgate...Can I disconnect the wiring and then keep that one on the car and simply thread it through to the replacement tailgate?

And how do I carefully dismantle the central locking hoses without busting the plastic three way?? (is there some easy way to get it off?)

There is no guide on youtube on how to change a b4 tailgate unfortunately...or I couldn't find one....:(

maclee
B6
Passat model: B3

Post by maclee » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:21 pm

If it is the rear window rather than the actual tailgate that is broken, and if the car is still in use, and if you have comprehensive insurances, (a lot of 'ifs' of course), the window will probably be covered by your insurance (apart from any excess).

Just a thought.

jasikasisback
B5

Post by jasikasisback » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:15 pm

I've got a spare tailgate, it is just missing the hinges so will look at the one one the car. The tailgate is complete, even has a key so just need to remove the hinges from the one on the car and attach this one...insurance company said it will count as a claim so no point claiming really...will just push yearly premium up...

maclee
B6

Post by maclee » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:59 pm

If your insurance company is going to count broken glass as a claim that will affect your NCB, I suggest you get yourself another insurance company!

As it is though, obviously making a claim that will affect your NCB is a non starter, (as was your car a couple of year ago if I recall!)

Best of luck with it.

jasikasisback
B5

Post by jasikasisback » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:34 pm

i think all the companies use it as a claim...if it is just a repair then it is on your record, but wont count...trust me if the police stop and give you a warning the insurance company knows...it is not worth me putting in a claim tbh....anyway got the tailgate ready and will have a look at the hinges tomorrow...I hope I will have the tool needed to get the hinges off the old tailgate and put them on the new one...:)

jasikasisback
B5

Post by jasikasisback » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:31 pm

Anyone know how to remove the hinges from the tailgate itself?Is it just 13mm bolts holding it on just like to the car frame itself?Or is it a Torx screw and if anyone knows the size of it?

Thanks in advance.

maclee
B6

Post by maclee » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:53 pm

According to the parts list for a 96 model:
tailgate.png
5 N 0102873 hexagon bolt M6X16 4

7 N 01021612 hexagon bolt M6X18 4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jasikasisback
B5

Post by jasikasisback » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:15 pm

Oh that is great news so I don't have to look for a torx bit...I would guess the size will be a 13mm...will have a look tomorrow and swap the tailgates...I noticed that the wiring is quite complicated as took the back of the new tailgate off to have a look...think it will easier to splice the wires up by the rubber hose and then just connect them to the ones in the new tailgate rather than trying to thread all the wires through...(will be a lot of very difficult threading. I think...:)....made them very difficult to fix..but I can't imagine any new car is any easier.