White vapour from exhaust 1991 B3 Passat Estate

From 16v to vr6- Add all the information in here....

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

pointer
B1
Passat model: 1741 estate 1991

White vapour from exhaust 1991 B3 Passat Estate

Post by pointer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:05 pm

I have white vapour from my 1991 Mk3 Passat Estate. On checking coolant there is not any loss over several weeks but I am using a lot more fuel , usually 450 miles per tank but now 350-400 miles per tank. I have a new distributor I can fit, would that cure it ?

The vapour does not appear to smell of fuel but my nose is not working that well nowadays !! On staring from cold there is not any sign of vapour but 5 minutes later it starts and continues even after a 20mile trip !

I have replaced the thermostat in the last 6 months as well as the radiator along with a head gasket although it was working OK in the few months following that task !!

Could it be anything to do with the two detectors on the coolant pipework fitted to the front of the block ?

Any help please would be appreciated

fonzooorooo
B7
Passat model: B3 estate SPI

Re: White vapour from exhaust 1991 B3 Passat Estate

Post by fonzooorooo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:54 am

It's weird that this has come back to haunt you!

I wonder if something is causing it to run too lean... Coolant temp sender? lambda? something like that.

I have recently experienced similar though (and this isn't going to sound good to you!) ... My mate bought a (cheap, project) b3 with the 2e engine. Was told by the seller it needed a head gasket. So we changed it. Noticed while the head was off that a water way was corroding over towards cylinder #1. Didn't appear to be too close, so we chanced it and just plonked a new gasket on. Got it all back together and had MASSIVE smoke, steam etc from the exhaust. Left it to run up to temperature (car wasn't taxed/insured, so we couldn't drive it) and no improvement. We changed temp sender, radiator (due to an unrelated leak!)new lambda, cat, etc etc. Tried adjusting fuel/air with a CO meter... No improvement. ... Head back off. :(( He bought a reconditioned head off ebay (excellent!). (Interestingly, while we were looking round at 2nd hand heads, this appears pretty common!)

While the head was off this time, we noticed scoring in the bore of #3. :(( Honed the bore and replaced the piston (just the 1 due to finances!). Back together and all appears well. The car's now MOT'd and he's been running around in it for a few weeks. ... Sorry for the essay/horror story!
What I do:
https://www.facebook.com/Outram-Lutheri ... 319251735/
Stringed musical instrument making and repair

pointer
B1

Post by pointer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:48 pm

Thanks for that. I didn't notice any corrosion or marks etc on either the head or the block when I changed the head gasket last year, and pressures were OK.

I will try to change the coolant temperature sender but is that one of the two in the elbow in front of the block? If so, which one?

Where is the lambda sender on my RP engine?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. :???:

BIG F@ TW@
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: B5.5 Highline

Post by BIG F@ TW@ » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:58 pm

Have you got a Haynes manual? Be very helpful for you :wink:
error code: Jeff

fonzooorooo
B7

Post by fonzooorooo » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:23 am

BLue 2 pin sender is for the ECU, black is for the gauge.
What I do:

fonzooorooo
B7

Post by fonzooorooo » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:25 am

Lambda sensor is on the downpipe facing back toward the firewall. Check the number of wires to the plug before you try to buy one!
What I do:

pointer
B1

Post by pointer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:16 pm

Thanks for the last two entries, much appreciated. :esm

I haven't done much of late as I am in the process of plucking up courage to change a front wheel bearing but I am having trouble with carparts4less when I ordered a FAG bearing and they sent me an SNR bearing instead which I have sent back as I have never heard of them, but the company are not responding to my emails! I might have to try another source such as onlinecarparts. Lets hope they will be better (crossed fingers!). :-?

pointer
B1

Post by pointer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:29 am

Now that we have had a period of good weather,(although that seems to be changing!) I have managed to change the wheel bearing and also the lambda sensor and blue coolant temperature sensor. However, there has been no improvement in the white vapour from the exhaust :cry:
I did have a problem after changing the lambda which is the subject of a different 'thread', but I have been carefully checking the coolant level once a week and there does appear to be a slight loss. When the level gets down to a certain point (this may take a few weeks) I will try and ascertain how much has been lost and over what mileage that happened. It may mean another head gasket in time, unless any one knows better(?) :-?