B3 spark issue

From 16v to vr6- Add all the information in here....

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Peter1000
still on the production line
Passat model: B3

B3 spark issue

Post by Peter1000 »

Hi all.
I have been having a problem where I will just all of a sudden lose spark, either when trying to start or mid way through a journey. I've fitted new leads, plugs, rotor arm, dizzy cap and yesterday the hall sensor.
After replacing hall sensor I tried to start, there was no spark.
Taking the 1st plug out and resting the plug against the engine and turning the car over, there was a visible spark and the car started (on 3 cylinders). Put the plug back in and started again perfectly.
This morning I went to start the car. Again there was no spark from the leads, I checked the coil lead, no spark. Once again I removed the 1st plug and plugged it in resting on the engine. Again the car then started.
I have been told this could be an earthing issue and have been advised to run an earth from the coil mounting to the battery earth. I have been also told the process of resting the plug on the engine is re establishing an earth.
Apparently the chassis draws a current and can drain batt over time. My batt has been losing charge recently.
I know nothing about earthing, I'm not sure if this earthing suggestion could be true?
Can anyone offer advice?

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login