1Z TDi Cold Starting Problem 'like the battery is flat'

From 16v to vr6- Add all the information in here....

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

VolksKid83
B2
Passat model: B3 GL, B5.5 2.0

1Z TDi Cold Starting Problem 'like the battery is flat'

Post by VolksKid83 »

Just when i was starting to get on top of the car to do list... ~x(

My B3 has developed a starting issue, basically as it stands now, when stone cold, the engine will turn over very slowly, not enough to start it and it blanks the miles and clock on the dials. The exact symptoms of a low battery, however checking the battery with the multimeter shows around 12.6v, so thats charged!

It has been back on the road for about six weeks now, its been shut in a damp garage since mid Nov without use awaiting a chunk of work (not electrical or engine related!).

It started three weeks ago, having been on a long drive to a car show in the midlands, when we came to leave the engine wouldn't even crank over, removing the battery terminals and touching them together (ECU reset? My dad insisted) then refitting them, it started perfectly. Which led me to believe mucky terminals from the winters storage.
It was spot on until two weeks later, i didn't use the car for three days and the battery seemed to be flat again, i bump started it this time as i was in a hurry.
Then one working day last week, it started fine first thing in the morning, but the clock and miles reset (suggesting lack of power?), getting back to the car after work (about 8 hours later) it turned over very slowly and wouldn't start. I had a spare charged battery in the boot which when connected with jump leads started it fine.

When i got home i did the following:
-removed the battery terminals, cleaned all dirt with methylated spirit ad gave them a light wet and dry
-removed the main live on the starter motor, cleaned the terminals.
-removed the main battery to engine earth from the gearbox and cleaned this up
-checked the alt, its charging at around 14.6v on idle with nothing switched on

This seemed to have done the trick. However today it wouldn't start first thing, so i bump started it. Then it wouldn't start to leave work, connecting the spare battery (which shows 12.6v also) made minimal difference this time, the jump leads got nice and hot, so i ended up heaving it across the car park to bump it. Its definitely heavier than my Polo!

And thats where i currently am, any ideas? I had a very similar problem with my Polo a few years ago, i replaced the battery, starter, alternator and all associated wiring/earths, and i still don't know what caused it.

I'm currently looking for a decent starter motor to try incase anyone has one! And apolgies for the essay, i feel i'm ranting... (i also had a flat tyre today, Mondays! :(( )
03 B5.5 Passat 2.0 Wagon - Fathers
91 B3 Passat GL TDi Wagon -The Daily
91 Polo GT Coupe - Daily No.2
83 Polo Formel E Bready - The Waiting Project
81 Golf Cabby GLi - On the road project!
76 Triumph Stag - Home Weekend Car

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login