Correct sealant for the covered roof seams?

From 16v to vr6- Add all the information in here....

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

VolksKid83
B2
Passat model: B3 GL, B5.5 2.0

Correct sealant for the covered roof seams?

Post by VolksKid83 »

I'm planning to finally fit my half length roof rails the weekend after next if all goes to plan, all brought ahead because of water entering the car.

Basically, a previous owner had issues with water entering via the roof, this was traced to the seams where the main roof skin joins the outer section that runs down both sides, this seam is under the rail mounting plastic trim. It was cleaned at the time and re sealed with Tiger Seal, this was about 10 years ago.
The car has a leak again, water coming down the A post area and inside the rear wings, plus i've even had it drip on me from the black roof interior trim above the drivers window. I have carefully lifted a section of the non rail trim thats currently fitted, and the black sealant has shrunk, so it has lots of splits!

So what sealant would you guys recommend? Being a panel seam, i am thinking seam sealer, i have half a tube of Autoseal solvent based brush able seam sealer in a silicone gun style tube here somewhere. The car is long term so although the Tigerseal lasted 10 years, i want to make sure i use the right stuff!

I am intreiged to know if anyone else has had these seams leak as well? Mines a 91 estate.

Also on the subject of roofs, any idea if the roof wiring harness down to the fuse board, can be removed with the dash in place? (Obviously dropping the lower drivers section so the fuse board can be dropped!) I may have got hold of some B4 illuminated visors with the loom which would be quite nice fitted...
03 B5.5 Passat 2.0 Wagon - Fathers
91 B3 Passat GL TDi Wagon -The Daily
91 Polo GT Coupe - Daily No.2
83 Polo Formel E Bready - The Waiting Project
81 Golf Cabby GLi - On the road project!
76 Triumph Stag - Home Weekend Car

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login