Have I got a wheel bearing on its way out?

From 16v to vr6- Add all the information in here....

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

erl72
B6
Passat model: B3 2L GT 16v

Have I got a wheel bearing on its way out?

Post by erl72 »

I noticed the other day when i got up to about 65/70 on the motorway I had a (difficult to describe) "whirring" noise that increases with speed. Its not a noise that only occurs when braking and its not coming from the engine.... it definitiely sounds to me like wheel noise. The combination of listening to CDs and the noise from my exhaust means I've no idea how long its been doing it at slower speeds. It definitely wasnt doing it (or at least not that loud) the previous time i was on the motorway the week before and now when I listen carefully I can hear it faintly with just general driving at everyday speeds. I can't tell which corner its coming from :? probably all of them the way things are going at the mo :cry:

In the interim I've had 4 new tyres which were badly needed anyway. Its going in to have new front discs and pads in a couple of weeks as the pads were low when it was MOTd and my discs are apparently too small as the pads were wearing with a lip on the outer edge???

Am I right that this noise is most likely a bearing? If so they may as well sort it when its in to have the brakes done... what sort of a job is it to check them and if necessary replace them?
Eddi :D 1990 Passat GT 2.0 16v (clickable sig)

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login