B3 Buyers Guide?

From 16v to vr6- Add all the information in here....

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

VolksKid83
B2
Passat model: B3 GL, B5.5 2.0

B3 Buyers Guide?

Post by VolksKid83 »

Been having a bit of a search without much luck so thought i would chuck a topic up!

I'm at uni and have a placement year starting in July, i will need to commute to this, most likely 60 miles a day five days a week. I'm 21 and this is my pride and joy, my first car now almost up to an upper spec GT level (some self hoaring):
I'm looking to get a second car for the commute, for reliability reasons and i don't want to put more heavy mileage on the Polo (bought it on 77k and its now on 102k, its had alot of money spent on it).

My family wants me to get something around the year 2000, but i've always had an itch for a B3 wagon which now i want to fulfil. My dad had one for a number of years and put over 100k on it taking it to 290k whilst only servicing it.

One has come up owned by a family friend, its a 91 GL estate 2.0l petrol, its been laid up for atleast two years now parked on grass. Obviously this helps rust.
My question is what prone spots and problems should i look for? I know how to assess a car when buying, but common things.
I understand old cars and reliability etc, but i would be looking to get it back on the road and slowly improve it mechanically, one day updating the engine.
What cruising MPG could i expect from a decently serviced one? I was hoping for a diesel but this is too good to ignore. How bad are they for rust? Somebody told me to floor pans can't rust!? I don't really believe that though.

Thanks chaps, fingers crossed its a good one!
03 B5.5 Passat 2.0 Wagon - Fathers
91 B3 Passat GL TDi Wagon -The Daily
91 Polo GT Coupe - Daily No.2
83 Polo Formel E Bready - The Waiting Project
81 Golf Cabby GLi - On the road project!
76 Triumph Stag - Home Weekend Car

This topic has 8 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login