New B3 owner - tdi'd '89 wagon. 5 years on...

From 16v to vr6- Add all the information in here....

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

Zed.
B5.5
Passat model: B3 TDI Variant

New B3 owner - tdi'd '89 wagon. 5 years on...

Post by Zed. » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:46 am

\m/ okey, I'm now a B3 owner, just arrived home after an amusing drive from Cheltenham with a few (5!!) rest breaks to allow the engine to cool & re-fill witth water :-P

I've now taken the reins on Mike's (Monkeytennis) B3 Wagon, Big Red.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=63296
the car was advertised with engine issues so being a masochist & up for a challenge pm's & email's were sent...
after a week or so the day was arranged & off on a roadtrip we (myself & my neighbour Pete) went, 120 miles for what I hoped would be an interesting project :D

now, I must explain, in the 'Shead-of-dread' I have some hoarding's, in the yard (at my father's place) I have a few cars,
my '95 T4 with a 1Z tdi conversion - work in progresss...
an '84 1.3 cl 4 door mk2 golf project
2 mk3 golf tdi's, 1 being my father's roadcar but as he's unwell it might become a donor :twisted: & the other a breaker / donor for the '84 mk2 B-)
'99 b5 tdi sport esstate, was my roadie but its a nail so doomer, may be my fathers daily if he starts driving :???:
'65 mg midget that I had as a toy a few years ago, fitted then with a vauxhall xe :twisted: (now cultivating plant growth :sad:
1978 Vauxhall Chevette HS rallycar (in loads of bits, sorta spread round like a mad-womans-poo :hyst )
and sometimes, my daily mk2 golf gl converted to AAZ td from an old b4 estate of mine.

so as you can see, I have some junk around :D

Anyway , back to the roadtrip,
I armed myself with a few tools, some water (25litre drum for 'just-in-case' some water-hoses (& a waterpump) & lastly, a bottle of "STEEL-SEEL' then hit the road....

sunday traffic & bad timing resulted in a presumed 2 hour ecoming 3 hours to travel the 120 ish miles & eventually we arrived at Cheltenham B-)

Mike's hospitality was great, fresh coffee & banter then a look at the B3, after about 10 mins I decided nto try the steel-seal with its 1 hour 'tick-over' running period...

after probably 55 mins we spotted coolant dripping from the waterpump area so decided to change the offending item :-P

BALLS! :shock:

the alternator mount (cast iron thinggy) must have been the first thing bolted to the cylinder block aat the factory, how the bloody-hell are you supposed to access the top bolts?
the top right is unbelieveable, think taking the injection-pump off is the way :-s

R-soles...

anyway, lots of swearing in various languages laterr & using (in desperation) an open-ended 13mm spanner as a 'tee-bar'sorta thing the bolts were removed :-
new /old pump fitted & re assembly done (someone- me) said it'd only take an hour :-o

2 hours later...

run it up, felt good, paid for the car & took a leap-of-faith for 120 mile home trip :-bd

well, all was well, thought it was fixed.......

till getting on to the m4 (maybe 40 miles later??)

temp guage risess, warning lamp lit & heater running cold. :((

BALLS. :sad:

the 'buggerit' mentality was brought out to play then :twisted:

so after a few miles dashboard disco, the severn bridge& its toll booth's was in sight :neutral:

toll paid then a few more disco-miles to Magor services for food, cool-down & water top-up B-)

Bloody waterpump is leaking :evil:

right, so now I know theres atleast 1 problem not fixed....

water, 20 miles & another stop because of disco....

getting bored of this now.decided to investigate the front / foreward face of the engine's radiator for a carrier-bag or some other blockage that could cause such overheating....

buggerit, again buggerit. no easy fix, the front of the rad is plastered with mud, grime, grease, maybe even roadtar but whatever it is it dont want to come off easily in a motorway services carpark :roll:

so now I know the reason I can drive gently (50-60 mph in 5th gear without much overheating ish BUT not able to go slow as theres absolutely no cooling air getting to the radiator :cry:

so armed with the 'Kill-or-cure" attitude off we went again, poor Pete following dutifully in his Mtdi'd T4 when I'm sure he could have been doing something more interesting like watching the rugby maybe???? (ok, so maybe going with me to get aa B3 was vastly more impressive & interesting than watching the game :D )

eventually, 10 hours & 240 ish mile round-trip later I'm home recovering, now a B3 owner with a little project involving a radiator before looking at the engine & its water-system, but thats for another days play, all I can say is thanks Mike for the car & putting up with us, and also thanks to my mate & next-door neighbour, Pete for riding shotgun & missing the rugby, well, if it could have been called that :sad:
how to spend a sunday :-bd

Rich.
Last edited by Zed. on Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:10 am, edited 8 times in total.
Rich.
'89 B3 tdi'd wagon :twisted: '93 B3 tdi'd wagon :twisted: '87 mk2 Golf now AHU tdi/02a etc. converted. '95 B4 tdi wagon. '95 T4 (1Z t'Die converted. etc. ). '91 Landrover Discovery 200tdi 3door. '93 Landrover Discovery 200tdi 3door. '78 Chevette Hs rallycar project. '65 MG Midget. '91 Eunos Roadster 1600. ZAZ 966 :hyst

Zed.
B5.5

Re: New B3 owner

Post by Zed. » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:55 am

Oh, & did the steel-seal work????

dunno, dunnoif,,,

1, there is actually a headgasket or cylinder-head crack issue.
2, did it work & the pump leaked (maybe someoe-me didnt manage to tighten the top 2 bolts enough to seal the pump onto the block?
3, radiator blocked allowing no cooling air accross the core so engine overheating (120 on guage at 1 point)

steel seal has a garantee, do I test it?

dunno if I can be bothered :neutral: maybe there was no need of its use so it didnt do anything :((

oh, well :roll:

next :)

Rich.
Rich.
'89 B3 tdi'd wagon :twisted: '93 B3 tdi'd wagon :twisted: '87 mk2 Golf now AHU tdi/02a etc. converted. '95 B4 tdi wagon. '95 T4 (1Z t'Die converted. etc. ). '91 Landrover Discovery 200tdi 3door. '93 Landrover Discovery 200tdi 3door. '78 Chevette Hs rallycar project. '65 MG Midget. '91 Eunos Roadster 1600. ZAZ 966 :hyst

fonzooorooo
B7
Passat model: B3 estate SPI

Post by fonzooorooo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:25 am

Good effort! :-bd :-bd :-bd

Good luck, and keep us updated with your progress!
What I do:
https://www.facebook.com/Outram-Lutheri ... 319251735/
Stringed musical instrument making and repair

lee1
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: B4 wagen VR6

Post by lee1 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:42 am

With steel seal you have to pay yo get it tested etc and if that say no your out of pocket for something you know already.

That and the water pump leaking

Witb you saying the pump leaking and the rad blocked up on the outside yhen i would say
Warped head or worse cracked
Would be wise to strip it and replace for piece of mind then you know its fixed.

Good luck with it
B4 wagon VR6

Monkeytennis
B1
Passat model: B3

Post by Monkeytennis » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:49 am

Glad to see you see you have the time and tools available to have a go at sorting her out, ill certainly miss this car, ans hope to see it again!

Matt
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: B3 GT 2.0 16v

Post by Matt » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:05 am

I've got a virtually brand new B3 radiator that will probably fit this if you need it, just have to check dimensions.

B3 GT Passat of Doom

2.0 litres 16 valves ABF

Zed.
B5.5

Post by Zed. » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:49 pm

okey dokey, a few hours fiddling & the rad is out, would have been quicker if I'd just removed the front / headlamp support thinggy but hey-ho :-P
the rad is filthy, maybe 1/4 of its front face being clear :shock: & this being top right / by pass side headlamp.
so I'm soaking it in degreaser to loosen before jetwashing hopefully to fix B-)

as an aside, a friend camr round to visit & looked at the service book (something I hadnt then), there is an entry after the last service (dated 18/11/94) that states "New Engine TSR" but no other details or date :???:
some discussion about tsr and was this car converted by them (Steve thinks he remembers something in a mag sometime in the 90's about a tsr / red B3 wagon) so an email has been sent asking :)

will await any reply or news :???:

Rich.
Rich.

Zed.
B5.5

Post by Zed. » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:52 pm

Matt wrote:I've got a virtually brand new B3 radiator that will probably fit this if you need it, just have to check dimensions.
thanks for the offer, I'm going to see if this will reclaim but if not I have a B4 tdi rad somewhere that I will compare (if I can find it :roll: )

Rich.
Rich.

Zed.
B5.5

Post by Zed. » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:12 pm

F'kin thing :sad:

few hours spent fiddlin today, alternator & its paperwieght / bracket removed, waterpump removed (again)
powersteering pump & brackets removed, radiator cleaned externally & internal flush.

mk3 tdi raided :ymapplause:

mk3 type alternator / bracket & tensioner, powersteering pump & brackets and the multi-vee crank pulley selected & cleaned for the B3 B-)

quick visit to gsf to get a waterpump & find that the price has risen a bit :(

back to work on the car
waterpump fitted & allrwenator bracket on (nice alloy jobbie with ACCESS to all bolts & nuts unlike castiron origonal)
crank pulleys fitted & block tapped for diferent position bolt for powersteering pump adjuster bracket (between crank pulleys & engine mount)
mk3 powersteerin g pump fitted (mk3 has banjo & bolt fit of pressure pipe. B3 has flared pipe with nut fit to pump)
belts fitted & tensioned, rad refitted & water added

Being hopefull that it will hold water & not leak :neutral:

bloody thing leaking worse than before now :shock:

hope Ive forgotton the 'o'ring for the thermostat (or cracked thermostat housing plastic thinggy, I have a spare) cos thats where its leaking this time :((

give up in depression & came home to do the washing-up :neutral:

Rich. (will fix it honistly)
Rich.

fonzooorooo
B7

Post by fonzooorooo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:17 am

I had fun and games with thermostat O rings on the 'rado...

I've always used the plain O ring from the kit - no problem 'till I did that one. Like you, put it ALL back together, (outside, in the freeing cold!) and it leaked like hell.

All back off again..... I tried the square section slit seal - thermostat assembled into the slit in the seal before installation - (with a new plastic housing for good luck) and it's been spot on ever since.
What I do:

Zed.
B5.5

Post by Zed. » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:34 pm

okey,
its holding water & pressure, driven maybe 15 miles stop-start & up to speed without issues :D

looks to have been the rad blocked & not cooling the water that caused the issues :???:

looks to have had an oil-cooler rad fitted in front of the water rad, presume this had leaked / burst coatin g the fins before getting bypassed at the oil filter / adaptor plate. unfortunately I think oil was left spread all over the water rad & this attracted mud / dust / feathers / etc. causing no airflow :0
cleared now :-bd

seems to be a bit 'flat' performance wise, maybe I'm expecting more :neutral:

going to do some checks on the engine & must find the diagnostic wiring for the ecu - bit of electrical detective work there I think just to find it (if not I will find the comms wire at the ecu & wire to laptop)
also going to look at the turbo / intercooler & pipework for leaks as its a little mix of td & intercooled piping with a few places rubbed against jubilee clips near the manifolding :sad:

so hopefully 1 job done, more to come B-)

Rich.
Rich.

Monkeytennis
B1

Post by Monkeytennis » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:00 pm

:D It's coming along nicely matey! good going! :-)

Zed.
B5.5

Post by Zed. » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:25 pm

okey, progress report....

water seems to be staying inside the engine's cooling system now :ymapplause:

did maybe 45 miles yesterday, went to llangenith for a surf, was a bit of a pig to start in the morning with 'flat-ish battery' symptoms so I took a spare chargedbattery with me...
changed the battery 15 miles later at a tesco petrol station on way to beach as it wouldnt start after fueling up :neutral:
got to beach & dis-connected the battery as a precaution then spent a few hours realising that I'm not as fit as I was :-
back to car & connected battery started great....

15 miles later, stuck in traffic / roadworks in the middle of Swansea @ 3.30 pm & it starts missing / heater blower on & off :((

so managed to pull off onto a quiet road to have a lookseee.....

& it stalled :(( :(( :((

arses.

pushed car to kerb, over buisy junction & opened the bonnet...
found loose engine wiring earthwire on battery terminal & eventually the nut holding the power lead from the alternatorto starter / battery was loose, not falling off but just loose enough to create a bad connection :oops:

ok, so I had changed the waterpump twice & the alternator aswell so guilty there :oops:

had to phone a mate to rescue with jumpleads (thanks Steve) but had the added bonus of breaking_down behind 'Joes Icecream parlour" so had refreshments :ymapplause:

bloody thing :hyst

also, had an email reply from TSR today......
Hello Richard,

Unfortunately I can't help with this we only have records to 2006 I am afraid.

Regards Rob
TSR Performance
http://www.tsr-performance.com
http://www.tsr-performancestore.com
http://www.forged-pistons.co.uk
oh, well. worth hoping they had records & were able to possibly shed light on the cars engine conversion :???:

thanks go to TSR for replying anyway B-)

otherwise, car started fine this morning, so to be suer of old battery-cables & old clamps I've fitted some from a mk3 golf (as I've used all my B4 leads) with the better terminals B-)

Rich
Rich.

Zed.
B5.5

Re: New B3 owner - tdi'd '89 wagon.

Post by Zed. » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:57 pm

progress (or lack of) report....

done a few jobs, chassed some boost leaks & changed some vacuum pipes :)
went to newport today to look at a car for a mate, 120 mile round-trip, on way there all was good with the temp staying @ 90 except on long hills / under load but on way back it hit 120' then the heater started to blow cold (had heater on to check temp & as a warning)
pulled of m4 @ bridgend to have a look. left it cool for 10 mins & added may be 1 litre of water (looks to have vented from the expansion-tank's cap)
obviously still got a problem :((

I must say I'm confused with the instalation,
there is a water-cooled turbo fitted on the b3 type manifold & downpipe, this has water feeds from the heater piping, not through-flow between heater & engine but 'Teed' into both heater pipes :???: dont deem right to me :-P (maybe this is causing localised boiling as there is not much flow????)
also need to check intake boost pressure, temp fit of boost guage needed.
the glowplug light is sometimes lit, this should signify fault codes in the ecu..... got to find the diagnostic socket, presume its a '2+2' set-up as opposed to 'obd 1 or 2 ' socket & I think I've found the power socket of the '2+2' , just need to decipher the loom (& its many s-pare wires & sockets)

I've had a look at the conversion wiring, fusebox end is quite simple but has many 'spares'... :???: might tidy-up with the side-cutters :twisted:

OR I might look for a B4 tdi breaker somewhere close & re-do the conversion to have the throttle potentiometer fitted on the pedalbox (as factory) ass opposed to under the water expansion tank operated by the origonal throttle-cable :neutral: & maybe to use the neater engine loom & hot-wire maf :)

Rich.
Last edited by Zed. on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich.

fonzooorooo
B7

Post by fonzooorooo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:57 am

Zed. wrote: opposed to under the water expansion tank operated by the origonal throttle-cable
Rich.
That just sounds weird!

While you had the various water pumps off, did you flush the system out? Any chance there could be a blockage/restriction?

I've had "mystery" coolant loss a couple of times... Twice it was the thermostat, and once the expansion tank cap (on a mk1 or a 'rocco). I kept reading about "the old black ones are no good - you need a new blue one", so I changed it because "new is better" only to find my coolant had gone the next day. Retrieved old black cap from bin, re-fitted and continued to drive around problem free(!)
What I do:

Zed.
B5.5

Post by Zed. » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:11 am

fonzooorooo wrote:
Zed. wrote: opposed to under the water expansion tank operated by the origonal throttle-cable
Rich.
That just sounds weird!
:D

all conversions are 'wierd'

depends who did the woek & what was available to use?
rover& ford had the throttle potentiometer operated by a cable from the pedal, early '90's cars & transits (2.5 di with turbo using the lucas "EPIC" management, I have a complete engine / wiring & spare wiring in my garage... obviuosly for that 'one day' project :p )

as to flushing, well, I've done the old hosepipe trick but am thinking of using a mild caustic solution & praying it dont disolve the heater matrix or main rad :neutral:

if this dont cure all I might bite the bullet & drop the front subframe / engine & box to replace with the spares I have from a recently striped mk3 TDI golf, also gives me the chance to change the front subframe / crossmember for the B4 tdi item I have waiting for a home aswell as a rack change B-)

OK. I admit I'm a hoarder :oops:

Rich.
Rich.

Zed.
B5.5

Post by Zed. » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:10 pm

spent a few hours tidying the engine wiring loom, removed what seems like half of it as was redundant / spare wiring & conectors!
it still runs :D

I still cannot find the diagnostic connector (well, I've found 1 of the 2 connectors, BUT it was the power +/- connector not the comms :(( )

so someone has removed it maybe by mistake?

so I've got to identify the ecu then look for pin-out to know which is the 'k' line to wire in an obd2 socket to read ALL the fault-codes 8-|

Rich.
Rich.

Zed.
B5.5

Post by Zed. » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:26 pm

okey, update time...

After much fun & games trying to comunicate with the ecu & the car evventually winning the 'wtf is wrong' game with hydraulic-lock I've ghanged the engine complete.
now fitted a '97 mk3 golf tdi engine with fsh & documented 95,000 miles, also upgraded the gearbox to an ASD from thew golf with longer overall gearing. this brought complications as the B3 'box had the '90mm' shafts & the mk3 was 100mm driveshafts, luckily I had some B4 shafts so all good (tink they are the same as mk3 golf shafts anyway)
I've replaced the engine wiring with that from the golf, golf mk3 has combined engine & lighting loom so needed to strip unnessessary off and swap for the B3's origonal td wiring & the tdi conversion loom thjat was 'piggy--backed' over it (now neater & safer) and changed the B3's pedalbox for a B4 tdi item to mount the throttle potentiometer inside the cabin as opposed to under the water expansion-tank as origonally converted & operated by the throttle-cable
I'm hoping to use the B3's intercooler & pipework but there is no provision for the 'intake-air-temp' sensor that the more modern mk3 based tdi uses, obviously the mk3 / B4 tdi intercooler pipework has provision for this but the b3 piping fits neater than the B4 :neutral:

for those that may try this conversion, mk3 golf intercooler & pipework are slightly diferent to B3 & B4 but looks like a bit of modding & it'll fit ish
pedalbox needs modding to fit clutch & brake pedal switches as extras for the ecu wiring (needed if fitting cruise-controll), B3&4 'boixes have round holes in the correct position's byt mk3 switches have a 'bayonet-fit' same as the brake-light switch as std. fitted, 5 mins with a file :wink: (B4 tdi ecu pedal switches have screw-in fitment but diferent wiring-plugs but could be used)
engine & gearbox fit all mounts as std. (later B4 tdi etc have diferent 'hydraulic' engine mount with a single bolt fitment to the alloy engine mount bracket, nearly all mk3 golf tdi also have this but the earlier 'floppy' / rubber & alloy mount bracket will bolt to the 1z /ahu / afn block
mk3 golf tdi has self-adjusting alternator / aircon belt system so better than the B3's also worth considering for B4 maybe if not already a tdi, direct fit :)
the mk3 B4 tdi has its turbo mounted below the exhaust manifold, tis makes easier plumbing for intercooler & exhaust downpipe asthe mk3 / b4 items fit, also as the turbo is smaller it has less lag aswell as being further from the inlet manifold so less 'heat-soak' wasting thee interecooler's effort & workin g the turbo harder to create the same level of boost

also, it seems that the B3 & mk3 golf gearchange cables are diferent length's, i've fitted the mk3 selector stick & cables to the B3 as the origonal was worn & the cables are somewhat tight so will be goin g back to origonal untill I find new
Rich.
Rich.

Baby Cheeses
Too much time on your hands

Post by Baby Cheeses » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:27 pm

Christ you have been busy, so whats it go like now?

Zed.
B5.5

Post by Zed. » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:28 pm

Baby Cheeses wrote:Christ you have been busy, so whats it go like now?
dunno, not finished it yet :oops:

:hyst

Rich.
Rich.

fonzooorooo
B7

Post by fonzooorooo » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:03 am

This is sounding like a properly heroic effort ! B-)

Keep up the good work! :-bd
What I do:

Zed.
B5.5

Post by Zed. » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:44 pm

Okey, sorta progress B-)
It lives
It starts, runs, drives without leaking water or oil or overheating / pressurising :D

So, have changed engine & gearbox to ahu 1900 tdi engine & ASD gearbox, needed to change driveshafts to b4 (100mm cv joints) as the presumed original 1.6td shafts wee 90mm cv's. (Mk3 golf tdi had 100mm cv joints & same length but I already had B4 shafts with new joint gaiters)
Changed engine wiring for condensed mk3 golf tdi loom with all sensors / ecu & immobiliser
Used mk3's turbo & modied downpipe connected nicely to B3's intercooler & exhaust system
Changed B3's pedal box for b4 tdi item to mount throttle potentiometer but modded for mk3's brake & clutch switches for ecu (needed for cruise controll)
Iirc all waterpipes are b3 & rad
Used mk3's alternator / bracket & multi vee belt / pulleys & powersteering pump / bracket

How's it drive?
Like a b3 should but with a tdi's torque B-)

Next on wanted list is B4 tdi dash-cluster / wiring to fusebox & I can wire up cruise controll :D

Rich.
Rich.

dubway
B7
Passat model: factory b35 gtd

Post by dubway » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:21 pm

Awesome progress , come and fit a tdi in mine :wink:
Pics pics pics

lee1
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: B4 wagen VR6

Post by lee1 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:26 pm

Great progress

Well done

I bet your well chuffed :-bd
B4 wagon VR6

Monkeytennis
B1

Post by Monkeytennis » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:07 pm

just poking my head into the door to see what you're up to with my ol' gal! I'm glad to see you've still got her on the road, though I expected no less having witnessed what an effortless master of 'f*ckitletstrythisinstead' you are!

there is something in the post for you this week ;) if i get my bum into gear.