Replacing the 1.8 SPI with a 2.0 MPI?

From 16v to vr6- Add all the information in here....

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Kai
Passat model: B4 CL & B5

Replacing the 1.8 SPI with a 2.0 MPI?

Post by Kai »

Okay - so, my 1.8 B4 is just about on the verge of death. The 1.8 that's in there has hit 207k, its burning oil, likes a drink of water every month, and runs like a sack of poo. It's been poorly maintained by the people that it was on loan to - theres a whole host of things wrong with it - but the engine is the main issue at the moment.

Now, i've been told that Central Electric 2 Vehicles are easier to swap stuff into - if this is indeed the case, how difficult would it be to swap in an ADY/AGG from a Golf or Passat? Is it a case of 'unbolt old one, bolt new one in, swap ECU and plug in' or are there more steps to it than that?

Not looking for monster power, but it's always been underpowered and overworked - been used for hauling staircases, plasterboard, sinks, plumbing, electrical work - basically everything you can think of!

It needs to remain as an 8v before you ask - french authorities are irritating when it comes to modifying anything - i can get away with a displacement change, but nothing thats not originally fitted to this particular model. (ie, if i had a Passat GT, i could get an ABF, but as its a CL i'm limited to the 8v).

Also - if anyone has one of these engines/ecu's/looms going spare - let me know, i have might have cash waiting!

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login