[RECOVERED] - Feeler - Breaking B3 GL

From 16v to vr6- Add all the information in here....

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Max Inc
still on the production line

[RECOVERED] - Feeler - Breaking B3 GL

Post by Max Inc »

Ryan s
Well after my whirlwind trip to get the GL, it looks like it will be broken before rather than after the summer Shocked .
I bought it to use as my daily for the summer, with a view to using the engine for a conversion into my rocco. At this point I planned to

get a diesel VW – probably passat (and thought if the B3 fitted the bill as a daily in other respects that a B3/4 TDI was a favourite)
However, I’ve just bought my Dad’s B5 off him (too good to miss), so it looks like my plans have been brought forward somewhat.
I have a timescale of 5 weeks** (until the road tax runs out on the B3) to get the car into the garage when the engine will be liberated

(or confiscated depending on your view!).
Just to recap it’s a 1993 B3 2.0 16v GL – dark blue 108,000 miles FSH all docs/MoTs etc 3 previous owners. It has Electric windows,

sunroof and mirrors, a great interior (blue) remote C/L and alarm, Estoril alloys and new tyres, new Lamba & CAT (£400 ish) and a towbar!

So here are the questions…

1. What can I expect to get back from the car once the engine is out?
2. What’s the likleyhood someone will want it whole?
3. Should I sell it as is and source an engine from elsewhere – therefore sticking to my original timescale?
4. If I do 3. – what’s the likelihood of getting another decent 9a with history?

I know there are a few people who have broken B3’s on here, and a few who know their B3 onions! So any feedback is welcome.

Cheers,
Ryan

**OMG – 5 weeks! I need to start thinking a bit harder about this!

lufbramatt
hi, if you do break it im always after bits for the old b3 Smile
i need a nearside front foglight if it has them, and would probably be interested in the alloys if you could post some pics up Smile
and may need a lifter mech for the front passenger window if the ones on your GL work ok.
cheers, matt.

Ryan s
Hi Matt,
I don’t think it has fogs (if they are located as separate units below the bumper)
However, all electrics work.
I was (still am) toying with keeping the alloys – but they are an obvious (and easy) item to include for removal.
I’ll keep you posted on this – in fact, I’ll post a new parts thread in the relevant section.
Oh, I also forgot to add – the Garage who would carry out the conversion are located a fair distance from me, so it won’t be easy for me to just pop out and get individual parts as and when. Also, I guess once the engine is out they won’t want the car loitering around for too long…

lufbramatt
yea they are separate units, little rectangular things in the bumper.
whereabouts in the country are you and the garage located by the way?

mocco7
Hi Ryan
Dont suppose you have a leather interior if so what colour and i could do with a starter motor if you are selling one, cheers Michael

Ryan s
No leather interior I'm afraid.
It's the velour - in light blue - very good condition... Wink
I'm in Didcot, garage is nr Farnham, Surrey.

lufbramatt
ok well my sister lives in farnham and im down there fairly often so i can easy go get bits off it when its there . . . how much would you be after for the front and rear bumpers (want to colour code the GT), the passenger window lifter, front passenger door handle assembly (mines on its way out), some door shut switches (assuming yours work ok)?
if you let me know when your taking it to farnham for the conversion i could probably get down there and get the bits off it?
cheers, matt

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login