HOW TO: Headlining Repair

From 16v to vr6- Add all the information in here....

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

suffolkpaul
B1

HOW TO: Headlining Repair

Post by suffolkpaul »

Today I repaired the saggy headlining on my new GL. Thought I would share with you cheap and relatively easy process in curing it.

The problem I had was at the front of the car at the top of the windscreen so to get nice clean access to it I removed the sunvisors and the central mirror.

I made sure the I carefully pulled back the headlining back so it was evenly all removed from the roof of the car. This way, I figured, was the only way to be sure that I had fixed the odd little pocket or "bubble" where it had sagged.

I then used the following items:

Scotch CraftWeld - like spray mount but effective when used with fabric and foam. small tin in Staples was £5.

Mini Gloss Roller - this is the dense foam type roller used for painting window sills etc.. dense enough to allow pressure but soft enough to fit round any mouldings.

I then masked up the top of the windscreen and spray a light coat on the inside of the headligning and the foam on the roof. This stuff is really tacky.

Then slowly use the roller to apply the headlining back to the top of the car. Take care not to get creases or overlaps. it might even be easier with two of you doing it??

Anyway, the result was pretty much perfect and I am very happy with it. You cant tell it was ever loose.

Paul

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login