Mysterious connectors

From 16v to vr6- Add all the information in here....

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

Spurtboy
still on the production line
Passat model: B3 GT 16v Estate

Mysterious connectors

Post by Spurtboy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:58 am

Hi all,

I found these two connectors, not connected to anything, under the gear lever gaiter of my B3. The wires on the larger one go forward, and backwards from the smaller one.

Anyone know what they're for? I assume it's something to do with an auto box, but not sure.

Cheers

maclee
B6
Passat model: B3

Re: Mysterious connectors

Post by maclee » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:34 am

Too long ago to recall any real detail I am afraid, but from memory I think they are both related to the auto version.

Electrical components in that location on the auto version include:

Interlock solenoid, (to prevent inadvertent movement of the selector)

LED - illuminates the selector lettering next to the selector itself, (P R D 3 2 1)

Switch for economy / sport mode

I think there may have been a multi position switch there to tell the ECU which gear had been selected, but I am not certain about that.

Zed.
B5.5
Passat model: B3 TDI Variant

Re: Mysterious connectors

Post by Zed. » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:22 pm

Spurtboy wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:58 am
Hi all,

I found these two connectors, not connected to anything, under the gear lever gaiter of my B3. The wires on the larger one go forward, and backwards from the smaller one.

Anyone know what they're for? I assume it's something to do with an auto box, but not sure.

Cheers

The larger connectior is 'Obd2' for engine/airbag/abs etc. Diagnostics %-(

On B4 cars the obd2 connection is in the dashboard by the speedo cluster.

Obd2 would have live (red /possibly blue?) earth (brown) K-line' or engine ecu & immobiliser link (grey) then if airbag (yellow)

***+*+* all colours from memory *+*+***

As to the smaller (2wire) plug I've no idea, possibly lighting power for gearchange or maybe for the rare centre consul stashbox light???

Rich.
Rich. ('89 B3 tdi'e wagon & '91 B3 td wagon :oops: '87 mk2 Golf now AHU tdi/02a etc. converted. '95 T4 now 1Z t'Die converted. etc. )