B3 TDi stupid electrical queries...

From 16v to vr6- Add all the information in here....

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

VolksKid83
B2
Passat model: B3 GL, B5.5 2.0

B3 TDi stupid electrical queries...

Post by VolksKid83 »

Finally picked up a tidy 91 B3 GL estate yesterday, its a well known car on this forum, i'll get pictures and a build thread up at some point. But firstly a few quiries!

1) The gear selection is very vague, not the precise selection it should be. Its not impossible to select gears, but if its not hard in it easily comes out of 1st and reverse. It feels the worst trying to select 2nd and 4th. The car has been converted to a TDi from a B4.
The previous owner says it had the engine mounts and selector parts changed. But what would be likely to cause this and how can i check it? I'm not exagerating here, the previous golfs, passats and polos my family have had all had nice feeling gears!

Thats the most important question!

But less importantly:

2) The light bulb behind the heater controls is not working, along with the ash tray light and the light that illuminates the light symbol on the headlight switch. I have a spare Mk2f Polo switch at home i will try, but how do i change the bulbs for the first two?

3) The dimmer for the dash lights is either on/off, not dimmable. As above i'll fit a new switch, or could it be something else?

4) My dads old 90 CL had a light for the rear ashtray, i couldn't find one when i removed the ashtray. This should have one surely?

5) Both passenger side door courtesy light switches don't work, i need to remove/check these, but are they refurbable, or can new ones be purchased? I'd imagine vw stopped selling them long ago.

6) Both drivers side outer door handles are really hard to open the doors with (my girlfriend can't open them!), remove and lubricate or something else? How do i remove these? (I have a Haynes i need to grab from Devon, i removed the large screw in the door aparture, what other fastenings are there?)

7) How do i access where the rear side speakers go?

8) From cold when starting, the clock and mileage reset themselves, lack of voltage i know. The previous owner said the battery was new (it looks it) and that some use will stop it (the car didn't get much use). I'll be using it daily as of tomorrow, but check the earths, if not new battery if it doesn't cure itself? I'll check charge rate too.

9) I will upload a photo when i'm home from work. But i am missing a link from the boot lids locking servo, to the white plastic part by the push button which moves up and down to lock/unlock. What does this look like? I will do a wanted thread!

Thanks guys and sorry for all the newbie questions! Had Polos for four years, this is like a Polo on steroids! :-bd
Last edited by VolksKid83 on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
03 B5.5 Passat 2.0 Wagon - Fathers
91 B3 Passat GL TDi Wagon -The Daily
91 Polo GT Coupe - Daily No.2
83 Polo Formel E Bready - The Waiting Project
81 Golf Cabby GLi - On the road project!
76 Triumph Stag - Home Weekend Car

This topic has 60 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login