passat B2 hatchback seatbelts

The older generation of passats, do you have some tech help for us....

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

timbo917
Passat model: B2

passat B2 hatchback seatbelts

Post by timbo917 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:45 am

Hello,

I am new here to the forum. I recently bought a 1982 passat CL.
This car was deliverd from the factory with no rear seatbelts.
In the manual there is writen that rear seatbelts can be installed afterwards.
I have small children so I would like to do this. Does somebody know how this goes and where I could
findv the parts.
Thanks a lot for the answers.

Tim

SantanaGX5
B2
Passat model: Santana GX5, LX

Re: passat B2 hatchback seatbelts

Post by SantanaGX5 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:04 pm

You will need to swap the rear backrest(s), the reels are installed in the upper part. If it is an `82 CL, you will have zero to naught chance to get piece(s) matching (colour, cloth) with integrated belts. This is the configuration in the 3-point belts.

Technically, it will also be possible to install lap-belts using the lower, outer points next to the L and R seats - but I understand you do not want to use lap-belts only for your kids, they are somewhat outdated and far from safe. Better go for the full equipment as above.

The middle seat belt (lap-belt only) is installed in existing sockets (again, welded screw threads), along with the buckles for the L and R seat.

- As for the rear backrest(s), I guess your `82 CL will have the one-piece arrangement. It it technically possible to install the later, divided fold-down rear bench, but not without welding in additional hinges for seat and backrest - considerable effort in relation to just using the right piece.

Basically, it should be possible to install the seat belts from another backrest (B2 only, the reels are trimmed to a certain position, inclination etc., to function properly), but of course, this is also more difficult than just putting in a different backrest.

- Enjoy your B2, and do not forget to put up some pics...

timbo917

Post by timbo917 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:40 pm

Hey,thanks a lot for the reply.
Like you said a new backrest in the wright color with seatbelts wil be
impossible to find,I am already having difficulties finding only the seatbelts.
My backrest is indeed the one piece type. Would this be prepared to have seatbelts on
it or does this mean a lot of custom fabrication? I think this is my only option.
I also came across seatbelts on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Santana-Re ... xycmBSr5Jq

Is this something that would fit and are these anny good?

SantanaGX5
B2

Post by SantanaGX5 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:44 pm

The belts on Ebay are static 3-point, and this will not help you since the B2 is not equipped to have seat belts attached in any other point than the rear backrest. There is simply no upper mounting point in the bodywork.

The rear backrest should be readily equipped for mounting the reels - there are 2 of No. 321857805G necessary, and they are specific with the B2. They are still available in Germany at VW Classic Parts, or possibly may be acquired through VW Heritage in Burgess Hill. - I have no idea how to open the rear backrest, though, since I never had to. Easiest way might be to take an `87 or so backrest and implant it, along with the proper buckles and center lap belt.

timbo917

Post by timbo917 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:06 am

Hey,thanks to the replies.
I am going to try to adjust the backrest I have now.
I took some pictures today. On one of the pictures you can see there is a loose wire.
Somebody knows where it schould go? My tachometer is not working,could this be the problem?
Wont be able to post the next couple of days,just became father of a baby girl for the second time.
If somebody could help me with second hand parts? I wil be needing them soon.
If not I am going to have to buy them new.

greetings from Belgium

Tim

ps,I wil be replacing the wheels in the future,they doe the car no justice.

SantanaGX5
B2

Post by SantanaGX5 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:09 pm

I think the wheels - the form, not the condition - do the car justice in every way, they were factory-fitted and are absolutely the right type to go with car...

- If you are in Belgium, it will be much easier to get parts, compared to the U.K., you shoudld have better sources and could even look into West Germany, there should be some rear backrest to get the belts from.

At the moment, I have no idea on the loose wire, would need to look up wiring diagrams for that. The engine code is "YP", by the way? (85 hp / 1.6)

Is it Brusseles production? WVWZZZ32ZBB123456 would be the correct VIN then, with the first "B" indicating the 1981 model year and the second "B" showing Brusseles as its place of birth...

Condition of the car seems great. Nice colour, cosmos metallic, I have a Santana with that light tone of blue.

... and congratulastions on your new-born daughter!

timbo917

Post by timbo917 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:12 pm

Hey,

thanks for the reply again.
I also thought it would be possible to get the parts here in belgium but the breaker
yards are not what they used to be. I have called lots of yards but nobody seems to have what I am looking for.
As for germany I do not have a clue where to start looking. I do speak german but dont know where to start.
Dont know if its a belgium car,its has the Dieteren import badge on it. I do meant the wheels condition.
I dont know;how do I get them nice again?

regards

Tim

timbo917

Post by timbo917 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:13 pm

and yes,code is 32 YP Cl

SantanaGX5
B2

Post by SantanaGX5 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:00 pm

No, today you will find hardly anything on scrapyards anymore, the B2 is too rare to pop up there more than occasionally.

In Germany, there is a larger number of B2s still on the road, ranging from the beat-down everyday driver over the well-kept pensioner's car to the top-condition piece of collection. With this mélange of B2s around, there are lots of pieces for sale as well - from privateers, less often from professionals - for example, on German Ebay classifieds:
http://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de

Since most Germans do speak some reasonable English, communication should not be too much of a problem - of course, bigger pieces will need to be picked up, and smaller pieces are not always mailed out of Germany, but from Belgium, why not make a short trip into f.e. the Rhine / Ruhr area, there should be a lot to be found... (the Germans call their B2 more often "32b", the Volkswagen Type (Type 32 = B1).

- From what I see in the photos, you car seems to have the VIN WVWZZZ32ZCB203568 (last digits hard to read), and that would make it a Belgium native, built in Brusseles. D`Ieteren is not only the importer for VWs of German origin, but they are and were generally the distributor of the cars towards the dealers.

That's a nice car you got there, a very early CL with hardly any options (no radio ever installed, no card boxes in the front doors with unmolested door cards... - very rare today). But the car has the 4+E gearbox and rear fog light, very good. - I guess that some more LHD B2s might exist in this condition, with RHD cars it will be definitely less.

With the rims, I would go for powder coating in a proper silver metallic. Did this with a set of alloys years ago and the result is good.