My mk2 *Beware essay inside*

The older generation of passats, do you have some tech help for us....

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

J1MMY
B1

My mk2 *Beware essay inside*

Post by J1MMY »

I actually picked it up just before new years from a local mate of mine.

It was orignally Gold and had been subject to his trademark of Satin black, chopped springs and G60 steels. Before anyone says it, yeah chopped springs can be sketchy but the ride is pretty good, softer than coilovers and had I planned to leave them on there I would have wired them so that they wouldnt fall out.

Anyways it was Gold originally so me being me and gold being gold, I decided to see how hard it would be to remove the satin black. A few evenings with the wet and dry and it is mostly off, revealing a rotten tailgate and rear passenger door - no worries, new bits on the way (this weekend coming in fact.) and I was quite happy with a semi - rat style matt gold finish....

Having looked around for some ideas I saw Jay's Silver mk2 with the wood trim and after thinking about the old american estates with their yellow and wood scheme I've decided to do the same (sorry dude its your own fault for being a style icon :lol: ).

Now then, I share my little lockup with my cousin who isn't keen on VW's, isn't keen on rat look and isn't keen on most of the ideas that I have.....until tonight. I'd already had a phonecall from him over the weekend of

"What the *no swearing* are those wheels and where did they come from? They're evil, the pissrat looks almost good!"

so when I suggested the wood panel idea he thought it a shame that we couldnt get faded - look wood effect vinyl.........

"so I'll tell you what. Being as you have given it a good key from rubbing the black away, prep the new panels when they get here and get 2ltrs and I will blow it back over. Can't have it looking only half good and I reckon it would be sweet. I've looked inside the door shuts and the 'bay and they're fine. Have you thought about putting a 2.2 20v in it?"

I'm blown away!!! I didn't have ANY plans for the car other than a new clutch and carb, and some rims! Now it looks like I'm gonna end up with a fairly cool ride, and on a budget too!

Ok essay over. For those of you who haven't fallen asleep, here's a poo pic of the way it looks at the minute.

I'm off to the breakers on sat to see if I can get some calipers that will allow the borbets to fit properly - as said in another thread I have ground A LOT of meat off the carrier and they still won't sit at the front without a spacer which ruins the way they sit so well in the front arches.

Then I'm gonna get the passat from Jay and start the transfer of parts.

All good fun for what is meant to be a family car! Will keep updating with pics etc in the hope that I'm not just being a total girl about this car :oops: :lol:

Happy days 8)

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login