My GL5 & GLS5 Passats

The older generation of passats, do you have some tech help for us....

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

Alain
still on the production line

My GL5 & GLS5 Passats

Post by Alain »

Hey... I've been meaning to join here for a while, and just got my account activated after the first attempt got denied! :(

Anyway I figured the best way to get started was to show you my current and previous Passats.

The old...

This was a £200 shitter if I'm honest, but it was also my first passat, and great fun. It was pretty much no end of trouble, between the leaky sunroof, rotton sills/archs/everywhere and hoses going pop, but it was also good fun.

I wont bore you with all the details, but I bought it like this...

Then I made a few alterations, including new uprated shocks, lowered springs, new wishbones, track rod ends, ball joints and wheel bearings. So it was now driving nicely, down 40mm.... so I bolted on some slightly different to stock 15 x 9J steel wheels :)

The person in the picture is not me... Sorry if it's you!

Sadly the car then got on my tits, ran out of MOT and got scrapped (well broken but...)

I then purchased the following GLS5 Auto:

As you can see, it's one hell of a lot tidier! All of the plastics are complete, it has no sunroof to leak and it drives perfectly (thanks to the massive wad of service receipts!)

It's now got the full suspension setup off the gold one, and it being treated to some Design 90s on Sunday :)

I've also put some better speakers in, all wired in with decent cable, and lined the plastics with sound deadening to improve the rattley-ness :D

The other thing to note is that I've broken 2 passats, and raided another in the scrappy for parts, so i've got a stockpile of spares for B32/2 passats, including:

NOS N/S front door
NOS N/S rear door
NOS O/S rear door (all three are genuine VAG)
Front light clusters
Rear light clusters
alternators, switches, wiper motors etc etc :)
Oh and an O/S sill repair panel and rear N/S arch repair panel which I don't need at the GLS5 is mint :)

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login