WANTED - Passat B1

The older generation of passats, do you have some tech help for us....

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

henryk32
still on the production line
Passat model: B1

WANTED - Passat B1

Post by henryk32 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:18 am

Hi there, looking for a b1 (fl preferred) in reasonable conditions for a reasonable price. I am aware that this is almost impossible in UK but I hope for a bit of luck.

wardie

Re: WANTED - Passat B1

Post by wardie » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:11 pm

Hi there. You never know what`s tucked away? I found mine here on the Isle of Man, one owner car, so they could be about. Fingers crossed for you, good luck :-bd

henryk32

Post by henryk32 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:58 am

Yeah, Yours is probably the best maintained and with the lowest mileage in Uk I also had the same b1 but had to sell a year ago :((

wardie

Post by wardie » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:57 pm

Yes, I was lucky. It was advertised for sale locally and was on the market for weeks. I just enquired about it and went for a look. I couldn`t not buy it. The original owner sadly passed so the family were clearing everything hence it was for sale.
It was rust proofed from new, which I must say has done an outstanding job, and has a full service history from 1978. I spoke to the mechanic who`d worked on it for the last 20yrs or so, and he told me if it`s done 1000 miles in the last 10yrs you`d be lucky. So I have been using it, clocking another 500+ miles on it without a hick-up. I love it, not a squeak or rattle out of it. The previous owner even had the cam belt done this year. It`s now tucked away in storage because with it lasting this long, I don't want to ruin it by leaving it out in the elements over our sometimes harsh, Manx winters :wink:
71151634_512547159580577_8059538244414472192_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

henryk32

Post by henryk32 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:44 pm

I've been to the Isle of Man many times but never seen this car on roads :wink: My brother lives in Ramsey for 3 years so I saw a few TT races when I visited him. A nice little island which probably explains the low mileage in most cars. Also as far as I remember, The MOT was not required there. Anyway the purchase history of my last passat was similar, the original (only one) owner also passed away , but he serviced his car to the end. The millage was also low - 61k but the body was far from perfect, it was full of small scratches, dents and a bit of rust, which I discovered after removing the right arch, so welder was needed, but apart from that, it was a very good and reliable car. Had three B1's before, beginning from 78 LD- 1.5 diesel, 79 LS 1.6 carb and the last one was 1.6GLS 1.6 So I have little experience with this model ,if you need any advice please feel free to ask , I will try to help.

wardie

Post by wardie » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:51 pm

Thanks for your offer. I lived in Ramsey all my life until about 20yrs ago, now in Andreas. Worked in Ramsey all my life though, you never know, your brother and I may have crossed paths at some point, especially if he`s in the building trade. The car came from the south of the island, probably never went to Ramsey until I bought it :hyst