Inherited a B1

The older generation of passats, do you have some tech help for us....

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

Shack daddy
still on the production line
Passat model: B2

Re: Inherited a B1

Post by Shack daddy » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:15 pm

Man that's super cool I'm very envious. Proper classic cruiser, ignore that numpty banging on about a mk 1 on a Passat forum. Keep us updated on the progress would love to see this back on the road. Digging the colour too \m/

passartist
B6
Passat model: b5.5 4motion est

Post by passartist » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:37 pm

Or you could hit it with a hammer, either way...

SMcNairn
B2
Passat model: B2

Post by SMcNairn » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:11 pm

I found a Haynes manual for a B1 we used to have. Any good to you?

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: T5 2.5 4MO Kombi

Post by Mindriot » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:01 am

Hope its going well.

Im afraid it is a classic, in the way that some classics must serve as lessons from history! :D Got to admire the takers for un-glamorous classics, it deserves some level of appreciation.

Seriously though, its either a B1 or a B2 estate my father traded a Type 2 variant 1600 Fastback in for! Only family car I cant properly remember since the age of 4 (The Passat) :shock: A type 2 fastback!!!!

If I could ask him why, he would probably mutter something about bloody kids, rust, reliability and cracked cylinder heads.

A year later we traded for a 77 Volvo 244 DL, if I asked, he would probably mutter of the Passat something about electrics, reliability, and cracked cylinder heads :)

Arsonist
Passat model: B1

Post by Arsonist » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:41 pm

Hello all, thought I would post a quick update.

I've managed to get the B1 from London to Chester where I live. Still no luck starting the engine, I've had problem after problem such as zero compression, zero spark, zero fuel etc!

Managed to rebuild parts of the dizzy so now have spark. Diagnosed why I was getting no compression - the camshaft, crankshaft and dizzy are all way out of alignment which each other meaning the valves weren't sealing at the right time. Re-set the cam and crank so now getting a solid 115 PSI on each cylinder, cold cranking which is good.

The dizzy is miles from it's correct timing position - directly between the firing point of 2nd and 1st cylinder, meaning no spark when it should. However, no matter what I do, I can't shift the dizzy. It's stuck fast, likely fused onto the engine block. Anyone got any suggestions for removal? (And yes, I've removed the securing bolt!)

Cheers!

fonzooorooo
B7
Passat model: B3 estate SPI

Post by fonzooorooo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:00 am

Liberal dose of your chosen penetrating fluid, then tap first one side then the other with a mallet/lump of wood/NOT a hard hammer.... It should begin to wobble more and more then ultimately move. Don't be tempted to just whack it- you don't want to crack the dizzy casing!
What I do:
https://www.facebook.com/Outram-Lutheri ... 319251735/
Stringed musical instrument making and repair

passattyp32b
B1

Post by passattyp32b » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:51 pm

Is it far enough out that you can move the plug leads around by one?! Otherwise as fonz said keep using the penetrating oil, (every day for a couple of weeks if necessary) and use a wooden mallet. Good luck. (Or just pull the engine out and fit a 1.8t ;)

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

fonzooorooo
B7

Post by fonzooorooo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:04 pm

I've seen the op has nearly got it running (from his posts on Retro Rides) ... Seems to have set the crank and cam timing, but not the intermediate shaft (hence the ignition timing's so far out) ... If it needs a little tweek or cranking round a lot, it'll still need freeing up.

Its possible to get the intermediate shaft 180° out from the crank (2 turns to 1) , but any less means the marks on the crank pulley and intermediate sprocket aren't aligned.
What I do:

Arsonist

Post by Arsonist » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:12 pm

Hi all.

It seems I forgot about this post as I primarily use RetroRides as some friends of mine back home use it too, so it's a decent way for them to check my progress.

Thought I'd add what progress has been made in the last few months, baring in mind I have almost no time to work on it!

I eventually muddled through sorting the issue of cam/crank and dizzy - turns out they indeed were all out of line. Managed to get them all synched up, low and behold she sounded like she wanted to start, although the fuel system was knackered so carb was getting no fuel.

I've almost rebuilt the fuel system now, replacing all lines from the sender, undercarridge and into the engine bay. New filters, T-junctions for return fuel, warm air intakes etc for the car all being replaced (probably next week). I did managed to jerry feed onto the carb and got a few seconds actions. Then decided to run it through the old pump to see if it worked - she fired up and ran relatively stable! Pump seems to be in excellent working order still, so I'll save myself that £30!

I've almost completely rebuild and flushed the coolant system, just waiting on a new thermostat to get that sorted. Once the new thermo is in, and the last few bits of fuel pipe are replaced, the engine should be in a position to run properly from the tank, and perhaps to get a timing strobe on to get a bit of fine tuning going!

Next focus will be (once the engine is going so I can assess) the gears, brakes, wheels and clutch. Brakes and wheels deffo need attention, but the clutch and gears might free themselves up with a bit of heat and moving. Fingers crossed!

Also, here's a video of the engine running for the first time in over 20 years :)

https://youtu.be/GNi4HHkbZIA

fonzooorooo
B7

Post by fonzooorooo » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:51 am

Excellent news!
Keep us updated on here... I try not to get too involved on RR- soaks up too much time scrolling through the cool stuff!
What I do:

Arsonist

Post by Arsonist » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:19 pm

Hi again all,

Thought I'd post a quick update re the B1.

So I managed to fix all the brakes, fuel system, starting problems, cooling system, gears etc. Sent her for an MOT in September and she flew through with only 1 advisory.

I've been enjoying her solidly since then, over 1000 miles of fault free driving.

She'll be coming off the road again at the end of this month for dry storage and for me to continue with lots of other works over the winter. My plan now is to get her to as close to concourse standard as possible, with everything absolutely manufacturer supplied and stock; wheels, mechanical ignition, original paintwork etc. Expect to see her at various UK VW meets in Summer 2017!

Her she is in all her glory :)

Thanks all!

golf1980
B2
Passat model: CL, GX5, LX

Post by golf1980 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:30 pm

Love it. Looking forward to seeing it next year :)

SantanaGX5
B2
Passat model: Santana GX5, LX

Post by SantanaGX5 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:39 pm

Impossible to tell whether that picture was taken in 1979 or in 2016... - stunning.

Glad to hear about your plan to preserve the B1 in stock condition! It will be a pleasant sight, standing erect over the mass of lowered veedubs around it. Good to know it is off the road and out of the wet, too.

W8Cambridge
Passat model: B1, B2, B5.5

Post by W8Cambridge » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:59 am

Beautiful.