Anyone clued up on the Gl5 engines?

The older generation of passats, do you have some tech help for us....

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

chriswilliams
B2
Passat model: b5

Anyone clued up on the Gl5 engines?

Post by chriswilliams » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:26 pm

Namely the PCV system and the injector air shroud feed.

Been doing a much needed overhaul on the engine, new injector seals, inserts and sorting the plumbing. The old injector seals were rock hard, nightmare to get out.

Anyway I noticed what I have recently learned is the air feed for the injector shrouds that goes into the head inbetween the injectors, initially baffled me what that feed was for. This feed on my engine goes to the PCV system on top of the rocker cover via a check valve. Issue here is that this will draw in unmetered air not only from blowby but as the PCV vents into the airbox before the metering head, granted pobobly won't be much but still.

ETKA would indicate this is correct but the Haynes workshop manual shows it going to the TB before the throttle plate which makes sense, however my manifold differs slightly as it has less ports than the one illustrated in the manual.

I can juggle stuff about and send the feed that way but should I? I can always trial and error but not running currently as in the process of replacing the fuel lines, another headache, this cars a fighter. Anyone know where that feed should go, or had any dealings with it before?

Cheers

Chris

passat32b
B1
Passat model: B2

Re: Anyone clued up on the Gl5 engines?

Post by passat32b » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:38 am

Hi mate

I've got a GL5 K-Jet had it for many years & fiddled with it for just as many.

I don't quite follow what you're driving at but suffice to say yes you are correct in that Haynes illustration is slightly different.

Whereabouts are you as maybe you could look at mine for reference.As you've noticed this forum not used much now. it's all FB nowadays & you're probably best to look for an Audi forum as there are so few K-Jet Passats left

Regards

Karl

chriswilliams
B2

Post by chriswilliams » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:02 pm

Thanks for responding I was losing hope :D

I've tried looking about on audi forums without much joy, not on social media just can't be dealing with it.

Tinkering time is seriously restricted at present with littleun and life in general, had so many setbacks with this car, engine fire, leaking fuel lines which luckily did not combine x_x and now there's a great hole in one of the chassis legs near rear beam.

My query is where the pipe goes from the port inbetween the injectors on the block, mine goes to the pcv system, Haynes says throttle body. If you could have a peep and let me know that would be helpful. I'll try and get to the car this week and get a picture of the pipe in question.

I did have it fired up at weekend, rocker cover leaking like mad which put a stop to any playing about. I have ditched the new rubber one which didn't seem to seal at all and going for an old fashioned Cork one.

When it was running it seemed hesitant, mays just need running, could be too much injector cleaner in fuel, whole bottle in one 5lt jerry can. Could be cold start valve or measuring head, I did want to see what difference rerouting that tube going from head to PCV made if it went to the TB instead, see what else goes wrong when new gasket arrives :roll:

Chris

passat32b
B1

Post by passat32b » Thu May 02, 2019 10:07 am

Hi Chris

Have done a rocker box gasket before & quite honestly can't recall if rubber or cork but get a little leakage anyway.

The K-jet has been the bain of my life for 14years it's played up,usually cold starts have been the major issue but recently a hot start.

Amazingly it's still going in a fashion most folk would have given up with it.Perhaps that's why there are so few survivors of the Fuel Inj model

I will have a look under bonnet at weekend

Karl

passat32b
B1

Post by passat32b » Sun May 05, 2019 10:55 pm

Hi Chris

Had a look under bonnet the breather hose in question runs via two L-shaped plastic tubing connectors into the rubber air intake forward of the TB.Hope this clarifies.

Karl

chriswilliams
B2

Post by chriswilliams » Tue May 07, 2019 10:08 pm

Hi Karl

Thanks for checking, if it goes to where I think it does on the rubber inlet then mine is blocked off. It makes more sense to go there so that's what I'll do. Just now need to figure out what to do with that "spare" outlet on the 4 way PCV hose on top of the rocker cover, guess for now just blank it off.

Missed the gasket delivery Saturday which stuffed my plans for the weekend, was hoping for it thursday/Friday, and still to fetch it from the post office but they close at 4pm week days which is a pain.

Anyway thanks again

Chris