B2 Passat Saloon

The older generation of passats, do you have some tech help for us....

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

benntenn
B1
Passat model: B2's

B2 Passat Saloon

Post by benntenn » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:13 pm

Hi all, I bought this Passat saloon 1.8GL with the intention of breaking it for spares (already own a GL5 hatch) as it had some T&T left on it I ran about in it, but after a couple of weeks I found I just couldn't scrap it/him (called it Albert) so have decided to keep it alive :-bd Albert is in a bit of a mess though, the usual tin worm munching away at the cills, rear arches, doors & rear axle mounting points :-SS the interior is filthy, damp & smelly. My plans are quite sedate, welding repairs to make it roadworthy & a thorough clean up. I wont be going overboard, just a tidy up really (not getting lowered or a concourse show winner, just a reliable daily driver) I'll be working on Albert as & when time/money will allow, will also try to update this thread often - heres a few photos, hope they are of interest???
Albert

High end head unit :-j
Mucky inside
Headlining needs replacement

ozpassat
B2
Passat model: B1 1979

Re: B2 Passat Saloon

Post by ozpassat » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:48 am

Nice find! I had a gold b2 sedan some time ago, possibly only one in Australia but he was verrry rust and shabby and I needed his parts so he's gone to the great crusher in the sky.

Is the headlining missing cloth? Or does it look like this?

Just curious as I have not come across another B2 with the same headlining that Nelson (his name) had.

mk2passat
B4
Passat model: Blue B2 hatch

Post by mk2passat » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:28 pm

that headling is completely gone, they all go that way. not too hard to replace. the saloon is getting very rare now, glad to hear you are going to keep it.
Glenn

golf1980
B2
Passat model: CL, GX5, LX

Post by golf1980 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:13 pm

That is really cool. can we have some more exterior pics please?
Never seen one before. Looks very like a santana. Good choice in keeping it. Rare is cool in my book :D

SantanaGX5
B2
Passat model: Santana GX5, LX

Post by SantanaGX5 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:29 pm

Nice one. Great to see a B2 with proper ride height and even with the stock "aero look", GL standard wheel caps - thumbs up for not succumbing, especially with one of the extremely rare saloons...

benntenn
B1

Post by benntenn » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:11 pm

ozpassat wrote: Is the headlining missing cloth?
The headlining has gone, it was a grey colour, you can just about see a few straggly strips of it hanging down-I will replace it with a similar grey cloth
SantanaGX5 wrote:Nice one. Great to see a B2 with proper ride height and even with the stock "aero look", GL standard wheel caps - thumbs up for not succumbing, especially with one of the extremely rare saloons...
Thanks for the thumbs up, the ride height will stay as is, but as for the wheels, I think a set of snowflake/scala alloys??
golf1980 wrote:That is really cool. can we have some more exterior pics please?
Never seen one before. Looks very like a santana. Good choice in keeping it. Rare is cool in my book :D
Thanks for the comment - It's really a Santana but in the 1985 facelift, the Santana got the same front as the Passat & thus became the Passat saloon I'll try & upload some more pics soon, inc some of the front :wink:

SantanaGX5
B2

Post by SantanaGX5 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:54 am

benntenn wrote:Thanks for the thumbs up, the ride height will stay as is, but as for the wheels, I think a set of snowflake/scala alloys??
That will look like the car went off the line with the alloys, so no problem... :esm
benntenn wrote:It's really a Santana but in the 1985 facelift, the Santana got the same front as the Passat & thus became the Passat saloon I'll try & upload some more pics soon, inc some of the front :wink:
Well... - if you compare a Passat GL to a Santana GX you'll find there is some way to go to meet the standard (for example, with the exterior chrome trim), but it is about the same direction. Not just in China, even in Europe (Spain) you had the situation that what was in fact a Passat Saloon (1985-1987) was badged "Santana" for the local market as the image was positive enough for VW wanting to retain the name...

Headlining is always the same problem, and cars with a sliding/tilting roof are usually worse off compared to those without. It will hardly be possible to get a decent spare in the right colour, so using a fitting piece of cloth is the right choice (should be better to find for a facelift model as it is just plain grey, no pattern).

Yes, more pics... please! :-bd

benntenn
B1

Post by benntenn » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:07 pm

Uploaded a few more pics - Getting a bit fed up with this weather though, we've had more than enough rain this year :( Anyway stripped more of the interior out for cleaning/repair & also it needs to come out so I can weld up the floor, cills etc :esm Some of the dash switches don't work - heated rear screen & front fogs, so I'll have a look inside them, as they can usually be saved with a bit of tlc Image
The front bumper has some damage on the corner, you can also see my attempt at bringing the black plastic back to life with old engine oil Image
Front end view Image
Rear end view c/w twin electrics towbar (think 99.9% of b2 Passats had towbars fitted LOL) Image
Engine bay - 1.8 4cyl Image
not much of an update I know but when more progress is made I'll update/upload more pics

SantanaGX5
B2

Post by SantanaGX5 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:55 pm

Thanks for the pics... - chrome looking somewhat withered, but rest seems OK.
(The chrome trim on the sides running from headlight to taillight is not VW, just some aftermarket poo - looks quite questionable?)

- Since the Santana was elected towcar of the year (1983? They chose the 5cyl, of course...), it is understood that many B2 were fitted with a towbar.

I have to admit that I somehow doubt the long-lasting success of the oil-revitalizing cure. It can be done with a heat gun, though, but this needs some practice, otherwise there is some damage to the bumpers rendering them completely unusable. It is possible to heat up the bumper plastic with a heat gun, having the dark-grey colour return from within - as the colour re-appears only seconds or fractions of them before the plastic starts smoldering away, this is somewhat dangerous and needs to be practiced sincerely with a bumper that is not needed anymore... :(

Welding on the floor necessary? That bad?

(ABCD... - quite cool.)

benntenn
B1

Post by benntenn » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:37 pm

SantanaGX5 wrote:Thanks for the pics... - chrome looking somewhat withered, but rest seems OK.
(The chrome trim on the sides running from headlight to taillight is not VW, just some aftermarket poo - looks quite questionable?)

I have to admit that I somehow doubt the long-lasting success of the oil-revitalizing cure. It can be done with a heat gun, though, but this needs some practice, otherwise there is some damage to the bumpers rendering them completely unusable. It is possible to heat up the bumper plastic with a heat gun, having the dark-grey colour return from within - as the colour re-appears only seconds or fractions of them before the plastic starts smoldering away, this is somewhat dangerous and needs to be practiced sincerely with a bumper that is not needed anymore... :(

Welding on the floor necessary? That bad?

(ABCD... - quite cool.)
Ha ha yes you're right about that bump strip thing, the front & rear part have an arrow head finish but panel/door shuts have a crude hacksaw finish. If I can remove it without causing too much damage then it's off! I'm using the front bumper as a sort of test bed for dressing products & myth busting?? The floor pan is rust free but the inner cills, where they meet the B pillar are in need of attention (just below the seatbelt mount) outer cills are shot along most of their length. The area of most concern though is the rear axle to body mounting point. Is there a repair section available??

SantanaGX5
B2

Post by SantanaGX5 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:09 pm

Nope, not any more. Cutting out from a donor car is the only alternative to building the rusted section oneself.

- Will be interesting to see what happens with your 'test bed', possibly even a good result with the oil after all? :esm :0

Happy new year...!

benntenn
B1

Post by benntenn » Sat May 13, 2017 3:04 pm

My Saloon is now for sale - need the space

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=90910