My passat B4 estate New Wheels

The virtual show-'n'-shine - show us what you've got, plus some details about it! Feel free to add a pic of yourself so we can put a face to a name!

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

oldskool
B1

My passat B4 estate New Wheels

Post by oldskool »

Well after loads of searching and many trips , i have found the replacement for the G60
Its a 96 plate passat B4 estate, TDi (1z engine , 90 bhp wow lol) its an estate too, in midnight violet,LC4T body is ok on it , needs a bit of going over with some scratch x, a tiny scrape that will get done too small patch of rust but other than that its mint, well nearly

I remember having a certain conversation with a certain someone about B4 passats , and their response was , ohhhh Corrado dash isnt it?
Bound to go wrong he said.
It has done
All the illumination lights work, but no speedo, no odometer, no temp gauge, no fuel gauge, no warning lamps, no leccy windows or leccy mirrors work.
Its like the car doesnt know that the ignition is on , the clock works fine but the rest of the stuff that should work when the engine is running, doesnt so im thinking possible a signal wire telling the gauges etc that the engine has fired up has either broken or a dodgy earth, the windows work when i put the key in the lock and turn it a certain way, all 4 of them go down and back up again, but nothing happens with the ignition on.

Anyway , here are some pics, no modding will be undertaken until the dash issue is fixed.

Hope you like it

Tried to fit new wheels on the car, rears went on ok but when i came to do the front passenger side, the wheel was jammed on so after a few side kicks and some furious anger it came off, but....., the new wheel wouldnt go on, the previous owner or garage had battered the end of the hub causing it to mushroom over and cause a lip to form, so hence the new wheel wouldnt go on, however they ignored that fact and forced the wheel onto the hub with a buzz gun , wrecking the centre bore of the wheel, cowboys!
Anyway, the saga continues

Went to try and rectify the damage on the hub today, the hub has a flat on it where someone had battered the end of it and missed and belted the mounting face of the spigot , after measuring the hub, it was 57.48mm diameter and really needed to be 57mm.
so i had to file carefully the corners off the flat ( its hard to describe it here) then blend them in to make it round again, took me nigh on hlaf an hour of filing.
Finally measured at several datum points around the circumference and we are at 57mm, although in one area it was 56.96, but never mind.
then put the new grille badge that Chrispy had bought for me, which also needed some filing to fit and all went together swimmingly.
pics below
Enjoy

before fitting the debadged grill

After! :cool:

The damaged wheel , looks like it was forced on with the bolts , surprised it didnt strip the threads in the hub , cowboys!!!

There is a lip on the edge of the hub , although the picture doesnt show it and it was this that wrecked the inner bore of the wheels that was on, because the wheel was made of softer metal, it took the beating!

After filing, all round :thumb:

Fitted!!!

oh and an engine bay shot lol

can you spot the sponge in Neils hand?

tut tut
Last edited by oldskool on Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

This topic has 56 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login