DIY R32 Alloy Wheel Refurb

The virtual show-'n'-shine - show us what you've got, plus some details about it! Feel free to add a pic of yourself so we can put a face to a name!

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

philwept_33
B4

DIY R32 Alloy Wheel Refurb

Post by philwept_33 »

Well im due to go to uni in a couple of weeks and seeing as i have got some free time after finishing at work i thought i would get round to refurbing my mk5 r32 wheels.

Some of you may have seen my car at edition with the polished flat spoked audi rs8 wheels. Im planning on using these for shows only as i noticed alot of cars there had them as a daily wheel and the lacquer was going very bad on relativley new wheels. I may keep them on during nice summer weather if we see it next year but i guess the r32 wheels can now be considered winter wheels for the time being.

Wanted to go for a slightly different colour as wanted to make them stand out, also being winter wheels something darker would hide the brake dust and dirt.

I began by rubbing down with 80 grit wet and dry, i was really surprised by how aggresive this was and all the curb marks on the first wheel was removed by this alone. I think where the primer was soo thick after bringing it down to bare metal all marks were gone.

Then stepped it down from 80 to 120 following it with a quick brush over with some 240.

Once i was happy with this i washed them fully and used some degreaser to remove tar spots that were present on some parts of the spokes.

I masked the inner rim off to avoid overspray and then applied a high build primer and base coat in a fetching yellow colour. Apply 4 thin coats with 15 min intervals and allow to dry for 24hours or overnight.

I then checked i had got the primer in all areas and gave it a quick going over with some 240 grit wet and dry on the spokes. I didnt see the point doing the whole wheel again as the high build primer was pretty smooth anyway really, just wanted to be sure.

Finally i washed off with a damp cloth and made 100% sure no grit or dust was trapped in any small corners as this would be the last time to get it right.

I applied another layer of primer but this time in grey. I got it from halfrauds just to make the transition from the yellow high build to the final colour much easier. I didnt want any patches or bits of yellow showing throuhg at a later date from light scratches etc. i left this to dry fully for about an hour with a halogen lamp keeping the paint warm to help it dry.

Finally i added a light mist of the final colour and allowed it to dry for about 20 mins. I then went over with a further 2 - 3 coats getting into all areas and making sure i paid attention to the outer rim and inner spoke joints where it is easy to miss areas.

Leave to dry overnight in your lounge by the radiator - mother not impressed by this!!!!

This topic has 17 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login