Matts GT- for sale see classifieds

The virtual show-'n'-shine - show us what you've got, plus some details about it! Feel free to add a pic of yourself so we can put a face to a name!

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Matt
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: B3 GT 2.0 16v

Matts GT- for sale see classifieds

Post by Matt »

Well sorry ive been a bit quiet on this front but I've been mega busy getting all this done :)

Its not quite finished yet but should be done in the next week or so. Heres a bit of background info . . . .

I got the B3 GT 2 years ago with 168k on the clock, its been my daily and its now on 193k on the original engine, which although it still pulls like a train (8 valve torque!!!)

This is when i first got it and gave it a good clean:

However, it smokes like a steam train as well, have been worried I was going to get pulled over on a few occasions! Doobie will tell you all about that, I smoked him out on the last Kent meet when he followed me down to the pub :oops: Stem seals on their way out, i was wondering wether to rebuild the old lump or fit something a bit more fruity :twisted:

In the time ive had it, I found a mint GT interior with no wear on the drivers bolster, I replaced the heater matrix after it split and left me stuck at the side of the M25 for 4 hours, and fitted Koni suspension with PI -40mm springs. I also colour coded the GT side trims and put a B4 bumper on the front, Ive got a rear B4 bumper to go on it too but never got round to painting it black! I fitted door speaker pods with alpine components and I have a Phoenix gold 4 channel amp to go in, but havent got round to sorting the wiring. had a nice set of 16" borbets to go on it, but I sold them after a change of plans, as they were 4-stud, and the new plans meant going 5-stud:

which had this nestles in the front of it:

2.0 16v ABF, 150BHP and all th right bits to make it fit in a B3 Passat- same engine as in a mk3 golf GTi but the golf subframe wont fit in a passat as its too narrow. Also has the 288mm front brakes and a few other goodies :) We picked it up from Westy73 on here for a good price as it had failed its MOT on a few things, but we drove it the 200miles home from Shrewsbury (on trade plates! ;)) and it easily outpaced my old GT and got better MPG too!

A few weeks, and two very wet evenings in a scrapyard near peterborough later it looked like this:

A massive thanks to Dave AKA Turbotommy from clubgti forum for helping me out with his recovery lorry and forklift truck after I got let down by a mate and had to move it from where we had started stripping it.

Ive spent the last couple of bits stripping, cleaning, painting and rebuilding the engine and all the ancilliaries to go back in the B3. The engine spec is as follows:

totally rebuilt with new mains, big ends and rings
all oil seals replaced
new water pump
new cambelt, tensioner etc
new sachs clutch
metal headgasket
fully ported and polished cylinder head with deshrouded valves and 3-angle valve seats
New crank position sensor (should explain the previous MOT fail on emissions)
New-old-stock genuine VW exhaust with raceland decat pipe

dont know what the final power will be but hoping for over 170 once its been remapped :)

all new genuine belts and new water pump:

Of course, this meant the tired old PB lump had to come out of the GT, which is what i spent today doing! :D

Current state of play:

old lump:

will put up more pics over the next few days!

matt 8)
Last edited by Matt on Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

B3 GT Passat of Doom

2.0 litres 16 valves ABF

This topic has 128 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login