Karls 382 BHP Audi A4 TDI build thread

The virtual show-'n'-shine - show us what you've got, plus some details about it! Feel free to add a pic of yourself so we can put a face to a name!

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

desertstorm
Site Admin
Passat model: B5.5 130 TDI AWX

Karls 382 BHP Audi A4 TDI build thread

Post by desertstorm »

Decided to start a separate build thread for the Audi , rather just appending onto the Passat build thread.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56110

After owning the Passat for 7.5 years and making so many mods to it I wanted to get something a bit newer, And a new challenge. Looking at the new shape Passats I didn't really need a car as big as a new shape B6 / B7. I wanted to stick to a diesel estate but wanted something that I could tweak to some bigger numbers.
The B8 Audi A4 seemed more like the size of car I was looking for being pretty much the same size as A B5.5 Passat with several Quattro options. As I found with the Passat that getting the power down was an issue with only just over 200bhp.
So after much looking bought an Audi A4 3.0 TDI Avant Quattro Avant . Its an 08 plate so one of the first B8 models.
They made a load of changes from the B7 in all areas including making it a bit bigger in the back, always an issue with the earlier A4's.
Went for a manual as on the B7 they had a 240mm clutch on the B8 it has a twin plate 228mm clutch arrangement so hopefully no issues when tweaking it.The engines in these have the latest 3rd gen 2260 Garret turbo's which means better performance and fuel economy. It's an SE with S-line leather/alcantara interior and the optional S line 18 inch 5 spoke alloys.Also came with a factory fit removeable tow bar.
I have ordered some new wheels for it going down to 17's and looking to lose the DPF and get it mapped which will get it to around 300bhp and around 470Lb/ft, currently 240bhp 370Lb/ft as standard. It does 0-60 in 6.3 and 155 as standard so when mapped should be good for something like 5.6-5.7s. Will be good to see what it does on the 1/4 mile :) .
Apparently adding the S4 rear ARB improves handling a lot and isn't to expensive although I am pretty impressed with the way it handles at the moment.
VAG-COM showed a duff glow plug on number 2 so changed that, and the fuel cap solenoid which is a common problem was changed. Fuel cap was permanently open before. Also showed up on a VAG-COM check of the car.

Pictures aren't very good and the car needed a clean but you get the idea.
It's pretty much the same size as the Passat, the mat I used to have in the boot of the Passat fitted almost exactly on the boot in the A4.Where the screen slopes at the back is where you lose space but I rarely ever loaded the boot that high.

Made a few mods with VCDS / vag-com

Enabled driving school mode so speed appears in main display, you can turn this on and off in a menu option now.

Enabled the battery monitor

The lap timer functionality

Altered the splash screen on the stereo, Normally has no logo, You can have an S logo or RS. Decided to go RS.

Enabled the dial sweep, click on the picture.

Bought an oil dipstick as the car doesn't come with one. Has the tube with a bung in it. It has a sensor and displays oil level on the display in the car but I wanted a dipstick just to check, Only £8 from the stealers. Fitted the R8 oil filler cap from the Passat.

Enabled the dipping rear view mirrors when you select reverse, flashing brake lights when you brake heavily and a few other bits and pieces.

Fitted the winter wheels

Car came with the optional 18 inch S line 5 spoke wheels with 245/40/18 tyres which will probably be sold as I ordered a set of alloys from Rimstock.

Pro race 1.2 in silver 17 * 7.5 http://www.rimstock.co.uk/wheeldetail.php?ProRace1.2

Will trial fit one on the car make sure it fits but these are going to be stopping in the box's for a few months now. I know most people would fit 18's or 19's but I like to stop with smaller wheel sizes as tyre prices for quality tyres are so much cheaper. Will be getting 235 /45 /17 Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2's about £110 each fitted.

Spare wheel has gone and replaced it with a compressor and bootle of gloop,Bought off Ebay for £20.
Will be selling the spare wheel as these seem to be in demand and going for £90-100
Removing the spare wheel, jack , and the part of the tow bar that is removeable that was sitting in the boot has lost nearly 40Kg off the weight in the car.Also made quite a bit of space for stuff when we go away in the car. Spare wheel well houses the battery and sub for the stereo.

Picked up a bargain off Ebay with some uprated brakes.
The car currently has 320 *30mm vented discs at the front and 300 * 12mm solid discs at the back. The calipers on my car are the same as an S4 but the caliper carriers are a silly price something like £170 each so to buy 4 S4 carriers would be nearly £700.
Bought this lot off Ebay, complete brake set off an S5.

They are off an S5 but are identical to whats fitted to an S4.
These are 345 * 30 vented front and 330 * 22mm vented rear and luckily enough fit under 17 inch wheels with a few mm to spare.
Before I bought them had a look around at the price of brake parts and couldn't believe some of the prices :D .
Ordered some new Pagid front discs at a silly £28.19 each, they weigh 10.5Kg each so £5 of that must be postage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290993862758?

And a set of Mintex pads FOR £40

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310636416835?

The rears discs and pads I got are good so will be going on the car as is.
Weight wise the front setup is about 1.5Kg heavier than what I have now , at the rear it's more like 2.5 kg each side.
I will sell the original front calipers/ carriers discs and pads off my car but think I will keep my original rear calipers just in case I have issues with the silly electromechanical handbrake mechanism.
Gone but will never be forgotten
207Bhp 347Lb/ft 14.9 seconds 93mph
The build topic viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56110

The new 382bhp Audi viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70765

This topic has 412 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login