B3 Wagon, Big Red.

The virtual show-'n'-shine - show us what you've got, plus some details about it! Feel free to add a pic of yourself so we can put a face to a name!

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Monkeytennis
B1
Passat model: B3

B3 Wagon, Big Red.

Post by Monkeytennis »

Hi guys, well here is the mystery eBay special Wagon that was causing all the fuss. Advertised as a 1989 CL <with a GL badge> but with a 'factory installed optional' 1.9tdi lump. turns out <after searching the service history for all of 1 minute> that it had a new engine in 1995 after 50k. so I think this explains it! also,.. the service stamps,spec sticker, and MOT records indicate it started life as a 1.6td. The seller reckoned it needed a damn good T-cut,.. well I'm 100% T-cut wont cure thousands of micro blisters on the paint work, so respray of the wings, roof, bonnet, and front panel will have to be done soon.

In anycase, Me and my friend from work drove all the way from Worcester to Padiham to pick her up, She drove back almost perfectly <water light came on after sitting in a little traffic and never went off after that <looks like the level was low.> and we never really went under 80mph all the way back, and the glow plug light seems to flicker for a fraction of a second when you would normally wait for a few seconds before startup,.. any ideas? :ymapplause: the only other annoyance was the dominating stench of cigarettes, it's almost unbearable in fact. So a deep scrubbing of the deck is prescribed soon.

I think i will colour code the VW badge.

Can you tell if this is a 1z or an AHU? The Install is a bit messy, but it seems to all work despite the wiring mess... for example... see this photo of the alternator wiring...
NOT good enough!

I would like it if anyone can tell me what the following photos are of, as i do not recognise the parts and would like to identify them if at all possible :)

She's my second VW, i currently have a little mk2 bread van to bimble about in, but 4 gears and motorway miles get a little tiring, so... i opted for a B3, the bready has never let me down but she will be for sale soon as the Wagon gets put into service.

Need to lose the GB badge i think and perhaps remove the tow bar too, should 'clean' the back up nicely.

Wheels are Kamei's,.. I think they suit the car quite well, and if it wasn't for the N/S rear being so badly damaged that it's cutting into the tyre, i could be convinced to just get some new rubber for them. But I have decided to get rid of them,..

the interior is basically spotless, but will still have a deep wet vac and scrub down to get it really nice. The CD player is absolutely terrible, as are the stock speakers. Must do something about this, I want a stock looking install that sounds good.

so, that's the story so far,... MOT is due soon, so I'm picking some new wheels and tyres up Saturday AM,.. it'll need a boot putting on the steering rack, and I need to investigate the Central locking,... if it has it. I was under the impression that all B3's had Central locking? if mine does, then it's not doing anything at all.

NO doubt i will annoy you all with questions of a technical nature you've probably already answered a billion times as I get her up to standard!

This topic has 49 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login