Calypso 20vT Stahl S2 splits & respray

The virtual show-'n'-shine - show us what you've got, plus some details about it! Feel free to add a pic of yourself so we can put a face to a name!

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

winter20vt
B1
Passat model: B5.5

Calypso 20vT Stahl S2 splits & respray

Post by winter20vt »

Thought I would start a thread for my project car which is undergoing a 1.8T 20v conversion, its still VW so hope no one minds! :esm Most of it i will copy from a local forum, but will update as I progress :-bd

Some may have read in my other build thread that my white mk2 shell needed alot of welding and just wasnt really worth saving so I took everything off I needed or thought I might be able to sell on and loaded her onto a trailer and took her to be crushed!

Ok so the story about this Calypso Green (LA6 Z) GTI! Was looking through the readers rides threads on here and saw that TK had picked it up after winning it on ebay, his plans were to start another project (had some awesome dubs), break it, or sell it. I was a bit gutted about the shell I had after finding the rust so sent him a PM straight away! He offered me to go have a look and if I liked it buy if off him. So the next day me, my old man and my good friend Adam headed down to have a look at it! He had told me that for the price I shouldn't expect a minter, it had been stood in a barn for 2 years but fired up and ran, needed the front end putting on etc. Anyway got down there after drooling over his mk1 with berg cup arches 8) and his friends mk1 berg cup with a G60 I decided to buy the mk2 as it looked like a really solid shell. Paid the man the monies, rented a trailer the next morning and picked her up in the afternoon

So here she is when I got her home!

Totally fell in love with the colour as soon as I saw it! My plans are still the same to drop a 1.8T in but im going to get the car roadworhty and get it through an mot. Run it with the 8v GTI engine and do little bits now and then. My girlfriends dad used to own a body shop and mot staion, he has since sold the body shop and kept the mot station. He has offered to fill all the dints and respray the whole outside of the car if i pay for the paint, materials and help dig the footings for their new house. Good deal I reckon!

So the first thing I did was to strip out the interior and see what the floor pans were like and find any rust, this is what I found ...

First mk2 to be totally dry in the footwells?

Not all good news tho! I found this dirty big barstard under the carpet

This was the only bit of rust I found inside the car

I had already bought a big tin of tetroseal/underseal so thought id do the inner arches and front doors, so sanded the rust to bare metal and gave it a good lick of underseal

Last edited by winter20vt on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This topic has 40 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login