Crackle Black B5 - 9s out back. Fat bum stance

The virtual show-'n'-shine - show us what you've got, plus some details about it! Feel free to add a pic of yourself so we can put a face to a name!

Moderators: desertstorm, vwnutant, water01

duckdown_hoodrat
still on the production line
Passat model: B5

Crackle Black B5 - 9s out back. Fat bum stance

Post by duckdown_hoodrat »

So.

Bought this ages ago and sold it. Then bought it back a couple of months ago like this:

Got loads of trick bits on it and it's really a well sorted car.

I know it needed wheels so I started to look.

Getting sick of the steels and the tread getting low I bought some super cheap temp Audi wheels:

Happy with this for now I bought some more cheap wheels to refurb, rh2s:

But a stupid low offset and cost of spacers, a new dish, and paint made little sense to continue, so I flogged them on

Then on my 2 weeks off work I did a whoopsie:

A Loud pop, smoking from the turbo and horrible idle I assumed the worst, blown turbo and a thrown rod. I thought this was likely as I had been running a lot of boost.

So I decided to start stripping it:

As I started to remove the intercooler, I got underneath and noticed the intercooler pipe had blown off the turbo!

I reattached it with a new clip and some silicon hose left over from a bike carbed golf project and voila!!

Solved! A mix of massive relief, joy, and annoyance that I hadn't noticed!

After this I knew I had to sort the wheels out.

So I ordered some and waited impatiently for a week until they arrived:

I spent Thursday night effing and blinding at the front coilovers as I hadn't wound them down since the mot and here is the end result:

8j front, 9j rear with 215/40/18 on all. Et35

No spacers as yet but I'm real happy. Will space the rears 10mm.

Unfortunately after it settled I had to molegrips the hell out the front arches but not an issues as the whole car needs a respray anyway.

So what do you think?
Last edited by duckdown_hoodrat on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This topic has 29 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login