B5.5 TDI 4Motion Estate

The virtual show-'n'-shine - show us what you've got, plus some details about it! Feel free to add a pic of yourself so we can put a face to a name!

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Diamond Hell
B1
Passat model: B6 4mo

B5.5 TDI 4Motion Estate

Post by Diamond Hell »

*Yawn*

Yes I know, it's hardly exciting, is it?

T'other half and I both love it, as it has exceptional balance. The ride is rather pillow-soft, so it's not too sharp in corners, but the Torsen system doesn't half pull you around the bends.

The only 'modification' we've made to it so far has been a pair of ISOFix mounting bars. The B5.5 is described by VW as having 'IOSFix preparation'. What this means is that there are four captive nuts underneath the rear seat. You have to order the ISOFix bars and bolts, and peel off the tape over the appropriate holes, to which you bolt the bars down to.

Here are the holes (one uncovered):

and here is the bar bolted in place:

This means we can just clip the Recaro child seat base into the back of the car:

and then the seat clips into place, with no questions about whether it's correctly fitted, or not:

This may not seem a very exciting modification, but compared to the rubbish way in which many child seats are held in place, using the seatbelt the ISOFix system gives a lot more peace of mind.

Incidentally, when we bought the bars, they came from a friend of mine in Holland, as Heritage in Bristol weren't terribly helpful on the occasion we approached them for this. Interestingly (or not, depends on your inclination) the 4Motion bars are different to the 2WD ones and the 2WD ones were possibly obsolete, too.

Next up is probably a removeable towbar and maybe a remap later this year.
Haul-ass daily FTW

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login