fonzooorooo's Yogi B3 (page4 onwards)

The virtual show-'n'-shine - show us what you've got, plus some details about it! Feel free to add a pic of yourself so we can put a face to a name!

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

fonzooorooo
B7
Passat model: B3 estate SPI

fonzooorooo's Yogi B3 (page4 onwards)

Post by fonzooorooo »

Nothing too wild, this... So don't get your hopes up!

I bought it from redshed in August (or there abouts)... Taking the word of previous owners that it was a "good car", I sorted the tracking, loaded it up, and did 600 faultless miles on a camping jolly in Wales (on 70 quids worth of fuel - Yay!) came back, and started sorting the "little things".

It came on steelies with "worn" tyres, but I took a set of Milli Miglia 17"s in P/X on my old 'rocco, so popped them on:

(recent pic - hence the snow)

Over the months, I've done:
Basic service (with 2 oil/filter changes - I like to do them every 6 months regardless)

Coilovers (Jamex) ... The rears are as high as they'll go, and fronts adjusted to a slight nose down rake. (sensible daily, remember!)

Front arm bushes, bottom ball joints and all 4 CV joints (1 was clicking and the inner gaiters were dead, so for £70 posted off ebay, I thought I may as well do all 4)

Sorting trim, door handles, boot lock and heater control panel (no light, and wouldn't direct air to the footwells... After cable ties and superglue, now it will!)

Sectioned out and welded up the n/s/r door where a hole had rotted it (de-rusting with the twist knot brush on the grinder revealed just how "thin" it was!)

De-rusted and rattle can painted the arches (where the tyres had scrubbed in it's previous, low, life)
Rattle can painted the rear bumper, and a couple of other odd bits (It lives outside, and though it's not the prettiest, I'd rather that than rust)

I've fitted 16V 6n polo seats (fronts go straight in, but I used the foams and covers off the rear seats on the passat frames):

Fitted audio:

Old skool Alpine headunit (won't play copied CDs - that old!) with adapter for the changer input so I can plug MP3 in):

Front speakers I've replaced with Alpine 5 1/4"s with adapter rings (ebay - Alpine components for £5... Yes please!)

When I got the car, it had Infinity bass/mids in the front with stock tweeters, so I moved that setup to the back (adding appropriate capacitors for the tweeters)

The amp's a cheapie from the cash converter (£20 or so) running a Rockford Fosgate 12" in a suitable, big, sealed box:

(pic shows it with the back seats down next to a drum kit... as you do...)

A couple of the tyres on the 17"s were dead on the inner walls from speedbumps (as I found out to my horror on MOT day), so I sold them, and It's currently sitting on the wheels off our mk1 cab:

Though that's going to change, as ebay was my friend, finding me a local set of Zandvoorts with 2 decent looking Michelins (and 2 dead ones) for £50... So My dining room looks like this:

as they get a quick DIY refurb:

And yet again, ebay provides:

No... I won't be using them all... It'd look a bit too much Like I'd crashed into a branch of Halfords in the 80s... I'm thinking about chopping (if necessary) and mounting a pair in the stock fog positions. The ones I choose not to use'll be going on my mate's van.

Once the wheel refurbing's done, and the tyres are swapped over I need to sell the golf wheels (Avus "snowflakes" as seen above) to fund some big ol' spacers for the rear wheels.
Last edited by fonzooorooo on Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:20 am, edited 8 times in total.
What I do:
https://www.facebook.com/Outram-Lutheri ... 319251735/
Stringed musical instrument making and repair

This topic has 149 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login