W8 dead and staying dead

The virtual show-'n'-shine - show us what you've got, plus some details about it! Feel free to add a pic of yourself so we can put a face to a name!
dmcessential
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: A wagon

W8 dead and staying dead

Post by dmcessential »

Thought I'd do an up to date build thread as I've only ever shared little bits on and off and never in one thread which does my nut in so........here goes trying to remember everything over the last 3 and a bit years.

p.s cheers to Colb666 for being the concience that I ignore :hyst

I bought the car back in 2006 after I came out of a company car scheme. Was leaving behind a saab aero with 210 brake so needed something quick. A friend who was also opting out and spotted the car in Autotrader. At that point I didn't have a clue what a W8 was, but was quickly on the net doing a bit of research and was quickly getting excited.

Went down at lunch time and looked around it. It was really clean so asked for a look inside......got the keys and sat inside............it stank......ex smokers car...........was gutted. At that point I nearly got out, but started the car anyway............just as well. That first start up I sat and revved the engine and said to myself, smoker or not I've gotta have it. did the deal later that week!

Now this is the bit that's annoying.....I didn't think about moddifying it (where we all heard that before :lol: :lol: )so never took any photos of the car standard.

Within 3 months the car was down at G-werks having KW variant 1's fitted

and a couple of pinch bolts later :lol: :D we were a bit closer to earcth and I was getting less altitude sickness :o

Next up I had a look at the engine bay and thought it needed a little help. The engine runs really hot (power steering pump, alternator etc all have coolant running through them) so thought that the air getting into it would be with all that black plastic.
Before

and after being into RS fabrications.....still my favorite mod so far......maybe

Got rid of the original steering wheel and replaced it with a Mk4 golf R32 one. No pic and now it's changed anyway.

Went to inters that year and managed to get a wee video of me having fun with my mate in his 200 mile old Mk5 Gti
http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee77 ... ernati.flv
Also took a little video of me taking off as that's the sound I love the most
http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee77 ... hemove.flv

Managed to pick some of these up.......maybe these are my fave mod!!

Found an original Votex spoiler

Saw Colb's interior which was leather/alcantara interior and thought I need one of those. I found a mint one on ebay and paid a stupid amount for it (700 notes delivered if I remember right :roll: )

But it didn't have electrics and I didn't want to lose electrics so have never fitted it.

Then I had my MOT and found that my front discs were worn.......spoke to VW and the nice man smiled and said 500 notes please.....i passed out and thought stuff that I'll get them somewhere else cheaper.......no chance. So went to godspeed in Wales and he made me some custom aluminium bells and discs that were drilled and grooved to go with the ECS drilled/grooved rears I had bought. Fitted all of those and colour coded the calipers gold along with fitting stainless braided hoses all round.

Next was making it sound a bit better so went to get a custom exhaust from pipewerx. Great job by Ian with custom tips that I can change from the twins to RS ovals if I get bored :lol: . Sound is great and I'm in love with the car all over again.

Then I started trying to make it a little prettier :x :x Dubbed up daz spent a load of time on it and it's the best manifold in the country!!IMO
Before and after
Part way through with a real dirty throttle body
In place

Now started to test fit the brakes ready for gettin them on

With the brakes fitted!!

Then after looking at getting all the dents and the cost of removing them it was down to Verve bodyshop to get the car painted........brilliant job and better than the original factory paint.

Next was the interior and knowing Gareth had done RS6 seats and how good they looked I thought I would do the same.....however the only ones I could find were cream......so after a long while bit the bullet and got them re-trimmed in my own design, although had to buy new black plastics from Audi.....shocking prices for f'in plastic! rears of the front seats are painted to match the car

and door trims painted as well

After a long time trying to decide if I should go with the flow and colour code the lowers I decided to do it although there are a couple of twists to make it a bit different. Fog light surrounds are colour coded (barsteward of a job, but worth it) and a painted in diffuser at the rear along with US spec side mouldings with side markers

Also got a new exhaust again with straight through pipes, bit loud but crackin fun and sound is sweet. Thanks to C&C in Glasgow for the work which is great. ovals at the back that run flush with the curve of the rear bumper and sit further in than the last ones.

Last bits have been to get new rear lights as the old ones lacked a bit of shine and managed to pick up a steering wheel to match the front brakes.....which took a fair bit of time to source the airbag (at the right price).

Tried to get the RS4 rear brakes on before UD's, but it was a bridge too far so will wait till the MOT's out of the way and crack onto them.

Anyways as ever still got bits to do.......never ending, but thankfully think I'm getting there after a long while.

Cheers
Last edited by dmcessential on Fri May 13, 2016 7:19 am, edited 12 times in total.

This topic has 338 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login