Newbie with first Passat

New to the site or want to just say hello or even want to check the latest forum-related announcements? Click on!

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Machinehead
still on the production line
Passat model: B8

Newbie with first Passat

Post by Machinehead »

Hi,

Been reading the forum for a bit before deciding on a new 2.0l 150 Business estate in Harvard Blue, with Discover Media (Generation 2 GP). Always have had larger cars and with the Misses using a mobility scooter to get around and father in law in a wheel chair this was the best choice over everything I looked at, inc, Honda, Ford, BMW, Skoda, et al. The Skoda Superb was a consideration but the plastics inside were soo cheap I was afraid to touch it! Having come from a 530d BMW E61 auto Estate I have been surprised at the space in these things! With the transverse 4 motor there seems to be a bit more room inside!

Have done just over 2,000 miles now. Loving the DSG g/box, and features that were exclusive to high end luxury car only like 10 years ago, like auto lights/wipers, follow-me-home lights, folding mirrors, chilled glove box, BT, MFSW, etc. Happy with the sat-nav too once I realised it only works properly if you've a wi-fi connection to it gets real-time data. MPG is averaging 45-50mpg based on our daily drives, but well over 55 on the only decent run we've done to Cornwall a few weeks ago. The 530 achieved 30 normally and 45ish on a run (but it was de-DPF and tuned to about 260bhp at the rear wheels :D ) so saving bit on fuel now!! :LOL:

Really liking the car but there a a couple of annoying things:
* To dim the dash lights at night there is nothing automatic and I have to go in to the car settings and change it in there, which means pulling over or remembering before setting off how annoying the bright dash is at night!! Why is this not automatic, or a little thumb wheel by the light switch?!
* Having to have a VW specific wi-fi dongle - what's that about?
* If you want the phone to connect to the screen (app connect) that's £200 on top?
* no speed camera data on the sat-nav

Keeping it clean seems to be the biggest problem at the moment to be honest though!! :roll:

Great forum full of info btw - if I had to fix something, or a fault occurs, this is where I'll come in the first instance for advice for sure before seeing the Stealers!
Last edited by Machinehead on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login