Removal of centre tunnel/handbrake cover in B5.5

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

BIG F@ TW@
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: B5.5 Highline

Removal of centre tunnel/handbrake cover in B5.5

Post by BIG F@ TW@ »

As I'm doing a deep clean in my new B5.5 I thought I'd take some pics along the way.

Start by sliding drivers and passenger seat all the way back to reveal the plastic nut cover highlighted here on each side. Prise the covers off and undo the nuts behind:

Lift arm rest and remove the black plastic liner inside:

When you look inside, the circled nuts are the ones you need to undo 13mm socket and long extension needed. The two on the left are inder the rear ashtray and will need to have ashtray removed for access:

Remove rear ashtray (pulls out) to get access to two torx head screws:

Gently prise top edge down and pull away:

Unplug cigar lighter:

Unclip from lower edge and remove:

Two rear nuts are visible now:

Use 13mm socket to remove:

Important....before fully lifting handbrake cover the cable for the cigar lighter need to be prised off the metal frame:

Lift from the back and carefully pull backwards:

Once clear of the gearstick surround you can then lift off and over the handbrake:

Gear stick surround is now free to be removed, carefully remove leather gaiter from hole, and then pull plastic cowle backwards and up:

Time for a deepclean!: