Do your own air-con top up

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

ct.p
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: B5.5 H'Line Est

Do your own air-con top up

Post by ct.p »

Before I start, you MUST imagine and read this this as if Captain Birdseye was saying it. I'm not Captain Birdseye by the way and don't look like him but am typing this in his voice. Alternatively if you don't know who Captain Birdseye is, do it in the voice of the Sailor bloke from the Simpsons and if you don't know who he is then do it in the voice of a salty old sea dog.

Right then...

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY AND DESCRIBES WHAT I HAVE DONE, IT IS NOT A DEFINITIVE GUIDE OR SET OF INSTRUCTIONS, YOU DOING ANY WORK TO YOUR OWN CAR IS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND NEITHER ME OR THE FORUM ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU DO TO YOURSELF OR YOUR CAR. IF IN ANY DOUBT ABOUT YOUR OWN ABILITIES, TAKE YOUR CAR TO A GARAGE.

I was always skeptical about using DIY aircon kits knowing all about the importance of having a deep vacuum pulled on the system and that vacuum held to test for leaks and to clean the system etc.

However, I've had this done three times now, once a year in the spring. Each time no leaks detected, the system holds the vacuum and all is good, then the gas and pag oil is put in. Each time all is good(ish) over the summer until the next spring when it warms up and when I first use the A/C and it doesn't feel cold enough. Each time the pressure and therefore the gas volume is down. This is despite the system holding vacuum and being ok at the time of the re-gas.

There is obviously a small leak or my system is prone to natural leakage, they all slowly leak but mine may be more prone to it. My car is a B5.5 1.9 TDI (AWX, 130hp engine).

So, this year like the two years before, I got it gassed up at MOT time back in April.

Yesterday being the hottest day for thirteen years made me do something. I'd been researching the DIY kits and thought that I'm going for it!

Having read up on Halfords website but not liking their prices, I bought a kit from a local motor factors for £10 cheaper.

Below some links for your information;

Halfords £60 initial outlay, I got this at my motor factors for a touch under £50
http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel ... g-recharge
http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel ... nser-gauge

The STP site
http://www.stp-aircon.eu/ourproducts/li ... s.php?id=3

The kit comprises a hose with gauge and a can of gas. You have to but each on their own (see links above). The gauge allows you to test the system pressure and to charge it.

There I was in the car park of the motor factors, it was, according to the car 36 degrees C, 'kin hot !

What I did;

1, Took plenum cover off (Passat B5.5, other cars will vary) to expose the A/C ports. The kit will only fit the lower pressure port as they the high and low pressure ports are different sizes.

2, With engine running, careful you are not wearing a tie or other dangly thing that could get caught in the running engine! Took off cover cap from port, fitting the gauge and read the pressure. It was below the "green" zone on the dial as suspected. Time to top up.

3, Removed the gauge, then screwed the gas canister onto it, re-fitted it to the port.

4, Still with engine running, set the pointer on the gauge to the ambient air temp. This was, I'd worked out between 85f and 90f, the gauge is in F not C !

5, Pulled the filling trigger to let the gas in. Stopping now and then to check the pressure and and the same time shaking the canister as per the instructions.

6, Got to the target pressure, disconnected the gauge, put the plenum cover back on and got in the car.

7, Shiver me timbers, it was blowing ice cold! The whole process took me about five minutes.

I'll report back on how things go long term. If yours isn't as cold as you think it should be, it might be worth a try.
Bog standard B5.5 Highline Estate TDI

This topic has 10 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login