How to-Retrofit B5.5 Foglights **NEW**

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Timon2210
B7
Passat model: B7

How to-Retrofit B5.5 Foglights **NEW**

Post by Timon2210 »

Hello All,
Well this How to is for retrofitting an OEM foglights for a VW Passat B5.5,I know there is one in here as a PDF file,but I found it complicated,so in this one,I tried to make it simple as much as I can,so the tools needed is :

1-Wires-2 colors (about 6 meters)
2-Torx -T25 (to take kick panel off)
3-Shrink tube with connectors
4-Foglights
5-Plastic covers for the Foglights.
6- "D " type plugs for the fog lights.
7- Relay number 381 (purple color)/or any after market relay.
8-Terminal socket (will see the use of it later)
9-Philips head screw driver.
10-pliers
11-Philips head screws
12-Metal fasteners (you will see the pics of it)
13- Euro Switch.

Step 1:
We get the fog ights and replace the blubs.

Step 2:

Now you get the plugs,and wires so that we can make the fog lights harness (if you have them brand new,you will have the harness supplied).
to do the plug,in my case,I got the wires used from a car in scrappy yard,as you can see the green/white wire is the positive in this plug,so I'm going to connect it with the red wire I have,and the brown one is the negative/ground,so i will wire it with the black wire I got.

Step 3:
Now we run the wires from the right side (Passenger Side)to the left side(Driver side),and get the left plug ready (driver side) so we can join these 2 wires in a Parallel way (My car is a LHD,but for you it will be the opposite as your car is RHD,
For who is not familiar with wiring methods,here is a diagram to show how we did it,simply connect the positive (+) wire (red) from the right foglight terminal,to the positive terminal of the left one
and the negative (-) terminal (black) from the right fog to the left fog.

Step4:
Now the 4 wires will become 2 main wires,so we get a shrink tube,and the connectors,join the 2 positive (+) from fogs together,and the 2 negative (-) from fogs together,then get the connectors and shrink tube ready
connect the main (+) with the (+) from fogs,and the main (-) to the (-) of fogs,shrink tube it,and wrap the whole wire with plastic adhisive so we protect it,or you can buy a sleve.

Step 5:
now we are going to fix foglights in place,well I couldn't get the plastic fasteners needed to fix the foglights as the OEM ones,so i came up with this method :)

on the Passenger side (my car),and Driver side (in RHD cars),fitting the fog light is not easy job,as the horn will get in the way,and to do so,you need to buy a bracket which makes this job possible,but I didn't bought one,I custom made one,so it make the horn higher,and the foglight fit freely,pics will show what i'm talking about.

Now we run the wiring harness from passenger side to driver side as follow.

Step6:
We need to run the wire up,so we can run it to the battery area,and to do so we run it in front of the SFMIC up to the headlights and power steering reservoir and next to the windshield bottle,to the battery area.

Step7:
we are done from the outside part,no it's time to enter this wire into the car so we can work on the inside connections,and to do so,I found the perfect way to do so,as some ppl say to try the ECU box which is risky,so I found a gromet between the ECU box and master brake cylinder.

Step 8:
Take that grommet out,and drill a hole inside it,a small one,as we want it to stay tight as much as we can so we don't worry about water coming inside if the drain holes blocked for some reason,make the wire go through it,and push it inside the car,it will go straight behind the dashboard,and it will be so easy to hold it later.
and now you can put it back to it location,and we are done from the outside part.

Inside connections:

Step 9:
To have access to the inside connections,we need to remove the kick panel,and to do so,we are going to use the T25,this panel is fixed with 4 screws,2 of them on the side of the dash board under the fuse box cover,and 2 under the steering wheel.you can't miss it,make sure to take the catalog out.

Step 10:
Now with the kick panel out,we have a full view,but we need to work on the plug of the headlight switch,so we are going to take the headlight switch out,and to do so,push it inside and move it to the right,and it will unlock,then pull it out,unplug it.done.

Step 11:
this is the important step as we are going to do all the wiring from the headlight euro switch to the relay #381,as you can see in the pic below,there is a gray color wire(the one on the left in the pic below),and there is an empty slot next to it,so if you look on the order of these wires compared to the switch,you will see that the gray one is connected to the (NLS) socket,which is for REAR fog lights,and the empty slot will connect to the (NL) socket,which means front fog lights,so we are gonna push the new terminal we got in there.
So now we got the 12V power feed ready :D

It's in the lower row,the second one from left side.

as you can see in the picture above,I connected it with a red wire,as it's a 12V power feed,and will do some nice work,so I'm gonna tie the 12V feed with the wiring loom for headlight switch.

we are going to do the wiring to the Relay number 381 (this is an OEM Relay-had it from the same car i got fogs from),but any after market relay will do the job.

So the relay is looking like this,and below it is a diagram for the relay and it's wiring.

Hope it will be clear one,I draw it myself using the paint in windows :D

So as you can see in the Relay picture and diagram,the wiring is as follow,this wiring is the same made by factory:

1- Terminal 30: 12V power feed from the fog lights switch.
2- Terminal 87: 12V power feed to the fog lights positive wire (red).
3- Terminal 85: Ground/Or can be connected to the High Beam wire (white)
4- Terminal 86: this is a common terminal,as it's wired with Terminal 30,so that it have 12V power only when the switch is on.(30 and 86 is bridged in the Relay 381 plug).

Step 12:
It's time to apply what we saw in the diagram,and for this to happen,we need to plant a socket in the empty slot we have in the headlight switch plug,it's the one next the gray wire (Rear foglight/NLS),

**So we put the socket there,and this way we have a 12V supply when ignition is on,so this wire goes to terminal 30 (white/Yellow)

** We wire the terminal (85)(White/Black) to a ground point located on the side of the foot rest,I joined this ground wire with the (-) wire,or black wire from the foglights harness,take the nut out,and fix it there using a circular socket.

** We wire the Terminal (87)(White/Green) to the 12V (red wire) COMING from the foglights harness.

The terminal (86)(white/Yellow also as it's a common wire)is connected with the terminal 30 (Bridged),so that when we turn the switch on to turn the foglights on,the power go through the coil (between 86 and 85),which makes the relay clicks,and the 12V get to the foglights.

Step 13:
Now we are gonna fix the relay on the relay's plastic holder,you can do that by tight it with plastic fasteners,or you can located it on it's original place,but that it too much work,so i choose the easier way :D.

This was the first Method of wiring ( The OEM realy ) as done from factory,but I have to say that the relay in this wiring is not designed to take the load off the switch that is made by the foglights (which is what the relay used for),as the VW designed this switch to have all the load,which explains why the headlight switch get burnt with time,as it takes all the load made by the headlights,and the foglights.
But the reason they used the Relay 381 is just as a second switch,when wire the Pin 85 to the High Beam wire,as long the high beam is OFF,the fogs will be ON,when the high beam is ON,the fogs will go OFF.

Method 2 for wiring:
This wiring is made for an After Market Relay,which you can buy from anywhere online,I have added this second wiring,as I have been told that the first wiring with Relat 381 is pointless,and I have just told you that above.

So here is how the 2 wiring goes:

Pin 30: 12 Volt -from a power source (battery),or (The power points under the dash,there is 3-4 points)
Pin 87: 12 Volt-Out from the relay,will be connected to the Fogs positive terminal.
Pin 85: It can be wired both ways,and both ways are 100% correct,it's something you choose
1-Grounded.
2-Connect it to the High Beam wire (white),you can find it in the fuse box,this way the fogs will go off when
turn the high beam on.
Pin 86: This is connected from the wire we planted in the headlights plug (NL)

Here is some more pictures to make things more clear:

Step 14:
Now we can fit the kick panel back into it's place,easy job,and plug back the new euro switch we got,so that we have the front fog lights working.

Here is the Euro Switch:

The Switch fitted:

here is the Switch at night:

Switch at night with fogs on:

Step15:
Finish the outside job by fixing the new plastic covers

Now job is done,and you can enjoy the fogs :D,here is some pics of the them at night ;)

Hope it was simple and easy how to ,so you can follow,and hope it will be helpful for all you guys :)

Cheers,
Tim
Last edited by Timon2210 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2002-101BHP-1.9 TDI-SOLD
Now driving-Passat B7-104KW-140BHP-2.0 TDI-Full Options-It's Bought NOT Built..LOL

This topic has 22 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login