Brake light switch

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

deacon
B6
Passat model: B5.5

Brake light switch

Post by deacon »

Over the week I had a few lights coming on my dash.
The ABS & ESP light came on then after a day or so the Glow plug light & 'STOP' Engine workshop came on the the MFD.
A bit of investigation turned out to show it was the Brake light switch at fault.
A trip to ECP got a replacement light switch for £7.50

Replacement is easy there are a few links on the net which make it out to be a tougher job than it is, so here is my summary.

Remove the fuse panel cover on the dash
* Undo the 2 screws hold the side of the lower dash & one on the underside towards the steering column.
* Pull the lower dash out and down, the left hand side is just clipped in, this just pops off.
* Disconnect the multi plug from the back of the headlight switch & light adjustment switch, also unclip the diagnostic port, this makes access much easier.

If you press the brake pedal you should see where the mechanism actuates the light switch on the left side.
*Un plug the ISO plug, to remove the switch simply twist the switch approx 30° anti clockwise (I think) it should turn out easily.
* Take your new plug push it into the locating hole (it will only go in 1 way) ensure the pedal is not pressed down at all & turn until it locks into position, re connect the plug & test.

The ABS lights on the dash went out straight away, but the glow plug light reset after turning the ignition of a couple of times ( I panicked at 1st!)

Refit the plugs & lower dash & get yourself a brew,

It took me 20 mins to do 15mins was spent getting the lower dash re-located, it really is quite easy I can't see how you can get it wrong.
B5.5
TDI
Higline