B5.5 Airbag Crash Sensor Location/Removal

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

bepe
B5.5
Passat model: Highline B5.5

Post by bepe »

For people with codes similar or too......

01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179) 29-00 Short To Ground

and also

01222 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Passenger Side (G180) 29-00 Short To Ground

The code I had was for the passenger side which was:

01222 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Passenger Side (G180) 29-00 Short To Ground

Upon extensive research I never really found any answers, People say just to replace them but sometimes this isn't the case.
People have replaced them and still have been left with the same code so they are none the wiser.

To eliminate my problem I first set out to see if the culprit was indeed my passenger side crash sensor.

But..... beware, there are loads of different types of crash sensor that all look the same and have the same
6Q0 909 606 but I have been informed that
there is other codes on the back that have to relate too(see pictures of crash sensors below)

The crash sensors are situated under neat the front seats on the floor pan ridge(see picture)

Removal:

Tools:

Phillips screw driver
tiny flat head, I used a jewellers screw driver
6mm Allen key
13mm socket
ratchet
10mm spanner
torx screw driver bit

First thing is first, remove the battery clamps from the battery using 10mm spanner and rest on rags out of harms way so there
unable to touch anything.

next you need to remove a few trims inside the car, first ones are the seat runner covers, to remove these you need your small jewellers screw driver to wedge and prise the cap which is on top
of the cover, this reveals the torx screw, undo this and its the same on the other cover.

now you need to push the seat as far back as possible then at the front of the seat you can see x2 13mm nuts, undo these then the seat will be ready to be released.

push the seat off the runners and lift up and support on top of the runners, don't lift out yet as you need to unclip the cables(i had heated seats so had to remove this as well)

once these are unclipped you can remove the seat with care.

next you need your jewellers screw driver and remove the foot trim cover to the left of the foot well, it is clipped on and held with one screw which you will need your Phillips for.

unclip the door trim up to the seat belt and unhook it then rest out of the way, you can now start to pull the carpet back

you will reveal the crash sensor which is technically in the rear foot well but on the front cross brace.

The crash sensor is held with x2 6mm Allen key bolts, undo these first if you cannot remove the clip, once this is done remove the clip then inspect the plug and wiring for damage and corrosion.

if everything looks fine then its time to remove the drivers side crash sensor......

Passenger side Crash sensor:

Drivers side Crash sensor:

Follow these steps again but for the drivers side.

I swapped around the crash sensors and chucked the two seats back in (didn't bolt them down or anything as i was only trial fitting)

once i connected the plugs underneath the seats back up on both passenger and drivers sides

I connected the battery back up.

Ran VCDS/Vag com and this is the error I had to start with:

this is with the crash sensors swapped around:

as you can see the error has moved to the drivers side and the passenger side is now error free.

I then removed battery leads again, disconnected everything, and refitted everything in reverse order.

so from my results, my wiring and module are fine. A new crash sensor is in order, like I say, there is apparently loads of different sorts so best to match the old one up with the same codes

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login