B5.5 AWX Starter Motor Replacement

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

bepe
B5.5
Passat model: Highline B5.5

B5.5 AWX Starter Motor Replacement

Post by bepe »

Time allowance: 2-3hours (an hour refitting under tray lol)

Tools:

Car Ramps/Jack (i used car ramps as it got it high enough)
ratchet/ small and large ratchet with extension
sockets,10mm, 13mm, 16mm
6mm Allen key
10mm spanner
Stubby flat head screw driver

First thing is first, get the car onto the ramps safely. When this is done, make sure car is in gear/chocks at rear wheels etc. as safety comes first
pop the bonnet, remove the battery cover and using the 10mm spanner disconnect both leads from the battery and support out the way using rags so they cannot come into
contact with each other or the battery.

when you've done that its time to remove the under tray....if you cant remove the under tray then stop now as you shouldn't be tackling the starter motor!

when the under tray is removed you need to focus on the tensioner for the aircon compressor which is x2 6mm Allen key bolts.

undo both of them to release tension, when this is achieved you can then un hook the belt from the pulley of the compressor.

now its time to focus on the compressor bolts, it is held on by x3 13mm bolts which are relatively long.
the first one is situated at the top of the compressor near the electric fan, you will need a long extension for your ratchet to reach this.
the second bolt is at the bottom on the right of the compressor, next to the pulley you wont need your extension for this one.

the third is on the left of the compressor again undo but with support making sure the compressor doesn't drop(it shouldn't do)

when the bolts have been removed just rest the compressor out of the way on a box or similar to take any stress off of the pipes( there is quite a lot of flex in them anyway)

Now the compressor is out of the way, its time to focus on the starter motor.

using either a 10mm spanner or socket which ever is easiest remove the battery cable from the starter.

next is the 2 16mm bolts holding the starter motor unit to the block, one is easy to access the other needs a small ratchet(no extension)

the first one is straight forward (see picture for location)

the second is not so easy but I was able to do it with a small ratchet(with no extension) also see picture for location

Once these are removed go to the front of the starter motor and wiggle it about until you can tilt the starter towards the floor so you can see the 50a plug and 13mm nut for the cables using the 13mm socket and extension
try not to move the starter to much as there is only a limited amount of play for the cables, to remove the 50a plug squeeze it together as it is clipped in (mine needed abit of brute force
as it was fairly tight on)
once these have been removed hold the starter and gently feed it out and underneath the car but be careful as there not light.

now you have your old unit out I compared my old unit to the new unit making sure it was the right one as some car part stockists don't always supply the right parts!

after checking it was time to refit the new unit taking care when offering it up, with one hand hold the starter motor and with the other, hook the battery cables onto the starter motor black being the first cable then red
(that was the order mine were in)
hand tight the 13mm nut, then plug the 50a into the spade making sure its secure.
then grab your 13mm socket and tighten the 13mm nut to the battery cables, the starter will not move about now. next is to put the battery cable bracket back onto the starter motor using the 10mm spanner or socket

now feed the starter motor into the location where it sits with care. holding the starter motor whilst tightening a 16mm bolt to take the weight I did the bottom bolt first which if you had noticed is the smaller bolt then the top last which is the longer bolt, as this was more awkward.

tighten the bolts up then its time to re fit the compressor.

with great care, offer the compressor back up to the support bracket then tighten the bolts back up in any order you see fit too, once these are tight you can re fit the belt.

once the belt is on time to grab your Allen key and put tension back on the compressor tensioner. tighten back up the x2 6mm bolts.

make sure everything is tight and on securely

refit your under tray

refit your battery cables tighten them up

take your car out of gear and start the car up!

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login